Other Mangrove Species

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who here grows another species of mangrove besides the red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) in their tanks?

I've seen black mangroves (Avicennia germinans) and white mangroves (Laguncularia racemosa) available occasionally, and recently came across a seller with oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza), which I quickly purchased to try in my system along side some red mangroves.

I'm tempted to order a few blacks and whites just to try them and see, but would love to have some feedback from anyone who has grown them in full strength seawater first.

Picture of my new red and oriental mangroves, and the tank I just placed them into for tax...

20230401_201425.jpg
20230326_165613.jpg

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replumbed my UV Sterilizer back into my tank and into the mangrove box.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use day light flood LED. 5500K from Home Depo. There are 5 flood bulbs on that plant each about 15 watts.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who here grows another species of mangrove besides the red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) in their tanks?

I've seen black mangroves (Avicennia germinans) and white mangroves (Laguncularia racemosa) available occasionally, and recently came across a seller with oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza), which I quickly purchased to try in my system along side some red mangroves.

I'm tempted to order a few blacks and whites just to try them and see, but would love to have some feedback from anyone who has grown them in full strength seawater first.

Picture of my new red and oriental mangroves, and the tank I just placed them into for tax...

20230401_201425.jpg
20230326_165613.jpg
I understand that black and Red Mangroves can be grown in reef tanks. White mangrove is a terrestrial plant, it can live through extended period of been flooded but I am not sure if it will do well long-term just in water. Anyone here grew white mangrove?

Bay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that black and Red Mangroves can be grown in reef tanks. White mangrove is a terrestrial plant, it can live through extended period of been flooded but I am not sure if it will do well long-term just in water. Anyone here grew white mangrove?
White mangroves will do just fine with roots submerged in water. Treat them just as black and red. One thing to consider is that Reds don't require misting but black will so if grown outside the morning precipitation is more than sufficient to wash the leaves of accumulated salt.

Image.jpeg
Image (1).jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Mangrove started to grow after 3+months of just sitting there. I trimmed the Black Mangrove above it to exposed it to direct light about 2 weeks ago.
my Black mangrove is in full bloom.
IMG_8827.jpeg
IMG_8828.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to update, all my oriental mangroves died. I think they had been started in freshwater. By the time I moved them into fresh they never recovered. The reds are doing well though! Just need to mount another light higher up for them.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back