Othos dentex / Harlequin Cod

  • Thread starter Thread starter RC79ATC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RC79ATC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2020
Messages
181
Reaction score
293
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3823.JPG
OthosDentex2RK.jpg


I have been watching fishing shows out of Australia... and this gorgeous seabass keeps coming up... why on Earth dont we see this guy in the predatory fish section out of our LFS?

Im kind of in love!

Anyone ever run across the Harlequin or Tiger Cod?
 
My guess is that it's more of a sport fish than an ornamental...although we do see juvie barramundis (aka panther groupers) so hmmm....it could also be the fact that it's a temperate fish and not necessarily a tropical fish.

Also with a final length of 30~36 inches, I'm kind of glad. Most of the smaller tanks don't have that space, and there's a lot of people who go "oh pretty!" first and "is my tank big enough" at a very distant second....I remember there was a bumblebee grouper at an LFS when I was in high school, and it was so sad because nobody would take the dang fish...
 
My guess is that it's more of a sport fish than an ornamental...although we do see juvie barramundis (aka panther groupers) so hmmm....it could also be the fact that it's a temperate fish and not necessarily a tropical fish.

Also with a final length of 30~36 inches, I'm kind of glad. Most of the smaller tanks don't have that space, and there's a lot of people who go "oh pretty!" first and "is my tank big enough" at a very distant second....I remember there was a bumblebee grouper at an LFS when I was in high school, and it was so sad because nobody would take the dang fish...


Yeah, folks who aren't prepared are really unfortunate.

I figured though, since we get saddleback grouper, Lyretails, Emperor Snappers, etc...even Panther Groupers get relatively large... that we would see juveniles of such a beautiful fish.

Man, is it impressive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new