Othos dentex / Harlequin Cod

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3823.JPG
OthosDentex2RK.jpg

I have been watching fishing shows out of Australia... and this gorgeous seabass keeps coming up... why on Earth dont we see this guy in the predatory fish section out of our LFS?

Im kind of in love!

Anyone ever run across the Harlequin or Tiger Cod?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that it's more of a sport fish than an ornamental...although we do see juvie barramundis (aka panther groupers) so hmmm....it could also be the fact that it's a temperate fish and not necessarily a tropical fish.

Also with a final length of 30~36 inches, I'm kind of glad. Most of the smaller tanks don't have that space, and there's a lot of people who go "oh pretty!" first and "is my tank big enough" at a very distant second....I remember there was a bumblebee grouper at an LFS when I was in high school, and it was so sad because nobody would take the dang fish...

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that it's more of a sport fish than an ornamental...although we do see juvie barramundis (aka panther groupers) so hmmm....it could also be the fact that it's a temperate fish and not necessarily a tropical fish.

Also with a final length of 30~36 inches, I'm kind of glad. Most of the smaller tanks don't have that space, and there's a lot of people who go "oh pretty!" first and "is my tank big enough" at a very distant second....I remember there was a bumblebee grouper at an LFS when I was in high school, and it was so sad because nobody would take the dang fish...

Yeah, folks who aren't prepared are really unfortunate.

I figured though, since we get saddleback grouper, Lyretails, Emperor Snappers, etc...even Panther Groupers get relatively large... that we would see juveniles of such a beautiful fish.

Man, is it impressive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back