OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible tank, I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't seem to remember the answer, what are your par reading at peak daylight?
Thanks for so much!

I've noticed that PAR levels in my tank can fluctuate quite a bit. For instance, I've recorded readings at the water surface in the mid-2000s, while at the sand bed, the readings were around 350. This number isn't static and is constantly changing throughout the day, sometimes even minute to minute. I'm sure there are moments when the PAR levels spike even higher, though I haven't had the PAR meter at the ready to capture those peaks. I know, I'm a slacker!

Your comment has sparked an idea. I wonder if there's a PAR meter on the market that can be submerged in the tank and equipped with multiple sensors. Such a device could monitor PAR levels over several days and generate a comprehensive graph to visualize the fluctuations. If such a product doesn't exist, perhaps an opportunity to design one! Let's get on it!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for so much!

I've noticed that PAR levels in my tank can fluctuate quite a bit. For instance, I've recorded readings at the water surface in the mid-2000s, while at the sand bed, the readings were around 350. This number isn't static and is constantly changing throughout the day, sometimes even minute to minute. I'm sure there are moments when the PAR levels spike even higher, though I haven't had the PAR meter at the ready to capture those peaks. I know, I'm a slacker!

Your comment has sparked an idea. I wonder if there's a PAR meter on the market that can be submerged in the tank and equipped with multiple sensors. Such a device could monitor PAR levels over several days and generate a comprehensive graph to visualize the fluctuations. If such a product doesn't exist, perhaps an opportunity to design one! Let's get on it!
If you have an Apex you can use the PMK for this.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for so much!

Wow those are impressive numbers. As Jaron said, the PMK can be left in the tank and monitored through the Apex.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I sit at my computer, composing an article for a soon-to-be-published piece, more to come about that. My heart is filled with a myriad of emotions—gratitude foremost among them. The journey of "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef" has been one of profound love, loss, and, ultimately, hope. It is a story that could not have been written without the unwavering support and boundless compassion of each of you.

Reflecting on the inception of this dream, I'm reminded of the countless hours spent alongside my beloved wife, Kelly, envisioning a world beneath the waves that we could call our own. Our shared passion for the ocean's mysteries was a beacon that guided us through the calm and the storms alike. Even after her passing, Kelly's spirit continues to infuse every aspect of the reef, a testament to the enduring power of love.

To our friends, both near and far, your support has been my anchor. During the darkest days, your words of encouragement and shared moments of joy provided the strength needed to forge ahead. This project, more than an underwater sanctuary, is a mosaic of every act of kindness, every shared insight, and every word of encouragement from this incredible community.

A special note of gratitude goes to David, @revhtree your dedication and vision have provided a space where stories like ours can be shared, celebrated, and preserved, allowing the spirit of our endeavors to reach and inspire a global audience.

To those who have followed our story, offered advice, or simply lent an ear, I extend my deepest thanks. Your compassion and empathy have been a source of comfort and inspiration, reminding me of the goodness that exists in the world. The reef has become more than just a habitat for marine life; it is a living tribute to human kindness, resilience, and the indomitable spirit of our community.

As we continue to navigate the ebb and flow of life, I am buoyed by the knowledge that we do not do so alone. The journey of "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef" is a shared narrative, one that speaks to the power of collective dreams and the unbreakable bonds of friendship.

I offer my heartfelt thanks to each of you. Your role in this story is immeasurable, and I am eternally grateful for the light you've brought into my life. Here's to the continued journey ahead, filled with discovery, healing, and the unending marvels of the natural world.

Joe

And I can't forget about you @Daniel@R2R

Last edited:

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when i start in 2013-2014
I found your post and i was like...
Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

logistically impossible here.
but so perfect!
Similar here. Just saw it pop up and was like... oh yeah.. this was a cool build. Where's it at now.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A special note of gratitude goes to David, @revhtree your dedication and vision have provided a space where stories like ours can be shared, celebrated, and preserved, allowing the spirit of our endeavors to reach and inspire a global audience.

I’m at a loss for words but I’ll say a few. People like you make a forum a community and stories like yours told through the eyes of a saltwater build thread have impacted more people than you’ll ever know. I’ve cried many times reading your updates through the years and at times refused to read some of it because I knew my heart couldn’t handle it at the time. You’re an amazing person and an inspiration to many,

Ps. I was holding my breath thinking you were about to say the tank was coming down. Shooo! :p

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I sit at my computer, composing an article for a soon-to-be-published piece, more to come about that. My heart is filled with a myriad of emotions—gratitude foremost among them. The journey of "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef" has been one of profound love, loss, and, ultimately, hope. It is a story that could not have been written without the unwavering support and boundless compassion of each of you.

Reflecting on the inception of this dream, I'm reminded of the countless hours spent alongside my beloved wife, Kelly, envisioning a world beneath the waves that we could call our own. Our shared passion for the ocean's mysteries was a beacon that guided us through the calm and the storms alike. Even after her passing, Kelly's spirit continues to infuse every aspect of the reef, a testament to the enduring power of love.

To our friends, both near and far, your support has been my anchor. During the darkest days, your words of encouragement and shared moments of joy provided the strength needed to forge ahead. This project, more than an underwater sanctuary, is a mosaic of every act of kindness, every shared insight, and every word of encouragement from this incredible community.

To those who have followed our story, offered advice, or simply lent an ear, I extend my deepest thanks. Your compassion and empathy have been a source of comfort and inspiration, reminding me of the goodness that exists in the world. The reef has become more than just a habitat for marine life; it is a living tribute to human kindness, resilience, and the indomitable spirit of our community.

As we continue to navigate the ebb and flow of life, I am buoyed by the knowledge that we do not do so alone. The journey of "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef" is a shared narrative, one that speaks to the power of collective dreams and the unbreakable bonds of friendship.

I offer my heartfelt thanks to each of you. Your role in this story is immeasurable, and I am eternally grateful for the light you've brought into my life. Here's to the continued journey ahead, filled with discovery, healing, and the unending marvels of the natural world.

Joe

And I can't forget about you @Daniel@R2R
So grateful to you, my friend, for bringing us in and sharing your story with us! You are an inspiration!

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a loss for words but I’ll say a few. People like you make a forum a community and stories like yours told through the eyes of a saltwater build thread have impacted more people than you’ll ever know. I’ve cried many times reading your updates through the years and at times refused to read some of it because I knew my heart couldn’t handle it at the time. You’re an amazing person and an inspiration to many,

Ps. I was holding my breath thinking you were about to say the tank was coming down. Shooo! :p
Your words have truly touched me, leaving me both humbled and grateful. To know that our journey has resonated so deeply with you and others is more rewarding than I can express. It's connections like these that underscore the power of sharing our stories, no matter how vulnerable that makes us.

Hearing that you've felt moved to tears and at times had to step away is a poignant reminder of the emotional bonds we form within this community. It's never been just about the tank, but the life and love it represents—something you've clearly understood and cherished alongside us.

And don’t worry, the tank isn't going anywhere anytime soon! That piece of my world remains a living testament to resilience, love, and hope.

Thank you for being part of this incredible journey, for every tear, every moment of pause, and for the strength you've lent through your words and presence over the years.

Looking forward to seeing you at Reef-a-Palooza!

God bless,

Joe

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So grateful to you, my friend, for bringing us in and sharing your story with us! You are an inspiration!
Thanks so much Daniel, I couldn't have done it without the support from everyone here.

Looking forward to seeing you at Reef-a-Palooza!

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got something really special to tell you about, something that's really close to my heart and is going to be out this fall. It's an article titled "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef: A Journey of Love, Loss, and Hope." This piece is a profound mix of my own story, entwined with the detailed account of building a thriving reef aquarium under the natural glow of sunlight. My journey from a kid fascinated by my dad's aquariums to dreaming up and realizing our very own sunlit marine sanctuary in Florida alongside Kelly unfolds in this narrative.

The story goes beyond just the logistics and technical challenges of setting up a 400-gallon natural sunlit reef. It's a peek into the selection of equipment, the meticulous care routines, and the vibrant life forms that animate our reef, all while highlighting our commitment to sustainability and environmentally conscious living.

But, this narrative is deeply personal too, especially touching on the influence my wife, Kelly, had on this dream. Her encouragement and shared zeal were the backbone of this project, even as she bravely battled cancer. The loss of Kelly gave the reef a deeper meaning—it became a symbol of our enduring love, a source of personal healing, and a testament to both human and nature's resilience and beauty.

Reflecting on this experience, I've learned invaluable lessons about dealing with grief, the restorative power of the natural world, and the impactful support of the reefing community. It's a story about how love endures and transforms us. Looking to the future, the reef is envisioned as a catalyst for bringing people together, sparking a passion for oceanic stewardship and conservation, and encouraging others to pursue their dreams and find solace in the wonders of the natural environment.

This fall, when "Our Natural Sun-lit Reef" hits the stores, it's not just the unveiling of an aquarium project; it's an invitation to journey through love, loss, hope, and the relentless strength of the human spirit intertwined with the majestic beauty of the underwater world. I'm thrilled for you to dive into it, to see where this journey has taken me, and hopefully, to inspire you to embrace the beauty and healing power of connecting with nature in your own life.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear about your wife! Wow, the tank looks amazing! I hope she will always be here to help you with this journey!
Thank you so much for your kind words and condolences. It means the world to me, Kelly was, and in so many ways still is, a foundational part of this journey. Her love for the ocean and its mysteries has always been a guiding force.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Widower, Year 11
Reflections on Loss, Love, and Lifelong Learning
Part 1

As I sit down to weave my reflections into words, I'm enveloped by the intricate blend of emotions and experiences that have characterized the past year. This message extends beyond a mere update; it's an invitation to you, to pause with me in a moment of profound reflection, heartfelt connection, and hopeful anticipation for what lies ahead. I encourage you to settle in with a comforting drink—perhaps a warm tea, a rich wine, or a soothing coffee—and some of your favorite snacks. Let's create a space of warmth and companionship, albeit through our shared words, bridging the distances between us.

This year marks the eleventh since I embarked on the profound journey of widowhood, a journey that has been both marked by deep sorrow and illuminated by the resilience of the human spirit. In moments of overwhelming grief, where the absence of my beloved Kelly felt as all-consuming as the night's darkness, I've also discovered beacons of light and joy. These points of light have guided me through the shadowed paths, bringing solace and unexpected moments of happiness.

One of the brightest of these lights has been the joyous presence of a four-legged companion, whose enthusiastic wiggle butt and boundless energy have infused my days with laughter and warmth. This happy, furry friend, herself on a journey of healing after being discarded, has become a constant source of comfort. She reminds me daily of the simple pleasures and the depth of unconditional love that life still holds, even amidst the shadows of sorrow.

Joy has indeed blossomed in the most unexpected places and forms. It has emerged in shared laughter with old friends and in the open hearts of new ones, in the beauty of nature, the changing seasons, and in those quiet moments of solitude that have offered me a deeper sense of connection to the world around me.

Hope, too, has been a steadfast companion, gently whispering promises of new beginnings and the dawning of fresh days. It has been present in the projects I've embraced, the new places I've explored, and the day-to-day moments that have interwoven to create a rich tapestry of existence, marked by love, loss, resilience, and the possibility of renewal.

Sharing these reflections with you, where grief and joy are intimately intertwined, comes from a place of deep learning and balance—a balance cultivated over the past eleven years. This journey has underscored the enduring presence of love, transforming yet never truly leaving, continually shaping, and guiding us in its absence.

I raise my glass to the past year, a significant chapter in the ongoing narrative of healing, growth, and self-discovery. Your presence, even from afar, is a treasured reminder of the enduring connections that support us through life's many seasons.

Navigating this eleventh year without Kelly, each day has added a new strand to the evolving tapestry of my life, bringing depth and complexity to my story. This year, enriched by our shared memories and now interlaced with the patterns of grief, resilience, hope, and remembrance, has painted the landscape of my journey with a more nuanced palette, reflecting the transformative power of time and the healing process.

The nature of my grief has subtly evolved this year, softening from sharp, acute angles to a gentler, more rounded presence. This transformation has not lessened my love for Kelly but has altered the way I engage with our memories. Pain, once a constant shadow, now adopts a more nuanced role, lingering in the backdrop rather than dominating my existence.

In navigating this year, I've come to understand that healing is not a destination to be reached but a journey to be embraced. This path has taught me the importance of acknowledging the dualities of my experience, making space for both the depth of sorrow and the potential for new moments of joy and beauty.

This period of reflection and growth has highlighted that healing is a deeply personal and continuously evolving process, shaped not only by the passage of time but by a gradual acceptance of loss and the nurturing of hope. As I continue forward, I carry with me the love and memories of Kelly, alongside the joy and companionship of my four-legged friend with her endearing wiggles, allowing them to guide my journey while remaining open to the new experiences and landscapes that lie ahead.

Continuing the Conversation

In navigating this journey, the act of sharing and connecting through our stories has taken on new significance. Engaging with others who tread similar paths of loss, love, and the quest for renewal, I've come to understand deeply the transformative power of shared narratives. These exchanges of personal tales of love's endurance, the void left by loss, and the flickers of hope that persist, act as vital bridges. They span the vast and often silent gaps of our grief, offering a network of support and comprehension that can only be forged through mutual understanding. This year, I’ve made it a priority to not only share my own story but to listen more attentively to others. I've found profound empathy in the quiet moments, in the unspoken understanding and the silent acknowledgments where true connection and healing often reside.

Hope and Remembrance

Hope has shown itself to be a subtle yet unwavering force in my life, appearing in the most unanticipated places, akin to a hardy flower sprouting through the crevices of a stark landscape. It reveals itself quietly, its whispers heard in the aging pages of photo albums, the melodies of meaningful songs that resonate with treasured memories, and in the calm of contemplative moments. This year, more than at any other time, hope has shone brightly, not only shedding light on the losses I've endured but also accentuating the timeless nature of love that surpasses the confines of the physical world.

Kelly's essence, characterized by her immense kindness, her laughter that could illuminate even the gloomiest spaces, and her steadfast resolve, continues to guide me. I find her wisdom in the simplicity of everyday life, her determination in times of uncertainty, and the warmth of her affection in the foundation of all that we built together. Every choice I make and every step I take honors the journey we shared, serving as a tribute to her enduring influence in my life. By keeping the dialogue open, clinging to hope, and treasuring the memories we created, I not only carry on Kelly's legacy but also embody the collective human experience of traversing the intricate paths of grief and love.

Following Kelly's passing, I was faced with the unexpected challenge of estrangement from certain family members, adding a layer of complexity to my grief. This situation introduced feelings of discord and isolation, magnifying the sorrow I was already dealing with. The profound impact of such loss reshapes your entire being, and the ensuing shift in familial dynamics can exacerbate the feeling of a world crumbling. During these stormy periods, I gleaned tough lessons and began the arduous journey of piecing my life back together, a process that perpetually unfolds. I chose to release any bitterness, recognizing there was no space in my heart or energy in my spirit for such burdens. Loneliness occasionally emerges, a stark reminder of my loss, yet I've learned to live with its presence, pausing when it overwhelms before moving forward again.

A call from Kelly's father years later marked a turning point, shining a light of hope and initiating a new phase of healing. He reached out to express his newfound understanding that I had done everything possible to save Kelly. This acknowledgment soothed long-held wounds, significantly altering my emotional landscape. In the past year, reestablishing contact and sharing heartfelt conversations with Kelly's family has fostered significant healing. Reconnecting with them has been a transformative experience, easing the heavy load I've carried and restoring a sense of family and belonging I thought was lost forever.

Each encounter and discussion has guided me from the shadows of past grief toward a brighter future, where the amalgam of love and loss forms a hopeful and resilient outlook. This path has underscored the unpredictable nature of grief and the opportunities for healing and reconnection that can arise unexpectedly. Rebuilding my life after Kelly's departure is a continual journey, enriched by our shared memories and the lessons learned from facing the complexities of loss head-on. As I advance, I'm uplifted by a refreshed sense of hope, fortified by the unyielding power of love, the complexity of human connections, and the resilience necessary to face an uncertain future. This rejuvenated outlook delineates my way forward, lit by the lasting glow of love and the promise of new beginnings amidst the echoes of past sorrows.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back