Our first tank

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What started it all!

We went to the beach following a hurricane. On our last full day, my wife recovered a living coral that had washed up on the sand. She filled a cooler with water and our journey began. We had no idea it was illegal, the only thought she had was that we couldn’t allow this creature to shrivel up and die. I know, ignorance is no excuse. But here we are

Attachments

• IMG_0281.mov
    11.1 MB
OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon 30 Gallon tank
Aqueon QuietFlow 30
Aqueon Submersible 40 Gallon Heater
Aqueon LED Optibright lights

1 - Coral
2 - Hermits
2 - Turbo Snails
1 - Mollusk

With adding the ocean water, everything set up rather quickly. We were pleased we didn’t have to add chemicals, just sand and a little salt.

Attachments

• IMG_8319.jpeg
    IMG_8319.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8322.png
    IMG_8322.png
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 71615244103__E5FEFC1C-F268-4135-9E68-1BC5722B4B2D.jpeg
    71615244103__E5FEFC1C-F268-4135-9E68-1BC5722B4B2D.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We added 1 clown fish and two emerald crabs. The mollusk didn’t make it, as well as the snails. An anemone, living rock, and 5 hermits were added several days later.

With the suggestion from other reefers, e we purchased another clown fish and a Cardinal fish. Here’s where we’re at currently. We tried an air stone, but the fish didn’t seem to like it much.

Attachments

• IMG_8339.jpeg
    IMG_8339.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8341.jpeg
    IMG_8341.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also where is the live rock? This setup it far from ideal unfortunately
It’s in the middle of the first picture, it’s got a purplish hue. I’ve never owned fish before, so I’m constantly reading and looking at things trying to take it all in.

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in the middle of the first picture, it’s got a purplish hue. I’ve never owned fish before, so I’m constantly reading and looking at things trying to take it all
For a 30 gallon tank you need to add a minimum of 30 lbs of rock. This is the only way things will survive. Please look into buying some from a local fish store that has bacteria on it and getting it into the tank as soon as possible. The clownfish are producing ammonia and there is no surface area for bacteria to grow .

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to slow down on the addition of living animals in the tank. The anemone won’t make it in such a new tank. You should wait at least 6 months, preferably 12 months.

Before adding anything, you need to research it. And until you have enough rock and flow and appropriate lighting, and most of all until your tank is cycled, don’t add anything else.

Go on Youtube and watch the BRS series for beginners. This is not a hobby where you can improvise.

OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 gallon tank you need to add a minimum of 30 lbs of rock. This is the only way things will survive. Please look into buying some from a local fish store that has bacteria on it and getting it into the tank as soon as possible. The clownfish are producing ammonia and there is no surface area for bacteria to grow .
Our tank is lined with CaribSea Arag Alive Special Grade sand. The pet store recommended this over a rock bed because it had bacteria in it. Is this not the case?

OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to slow down on the addition of living animals in the tank. The anemone won’t make it in such a new tank. You should wait at least 6 months, preferably 12 months.

Before adding anything, you need to research it. And until you have enough rock and flow and appropriate lighting, and most of all until your tank is cycled, don’t add anything else.

Go on Youtube and watch the BRS series for beginners. This is not a hobby where you can improvise.
I ask questions everyone I go to the pet store, and I try to read as much as possible. Outside of creatures being alive and toying with life, things are super expensive. We’re trying to get it right. Everything we purchased was recommended, and if we were unsure we asked multiple times if things were safe. We used the CaribSea Special Grade Sand that’s supposed to have bacteria in it as the base, as advised by the store, they said we could use either and it would be fine. The rocks you’re referring to, is it the littler breeding rocks, or the much larger rocks?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to slow down …

This is good advice. And if you have shown photos of your tank/explained your situation to someone at your local fish store and they advised Against more live rock, I’d not return to that store. A tank can be run with or without sand. A tank Must have an appropriate amount of live rock. That’s where your main filtration occurs.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are from the ocean, only a few actual decorations were purchased. I tried finding larger cavernous living rocks, but I didn’t see any. Hence the purchase of what you see.
The pieces with the fake coral, those are doing you no good. You want to go to a Different fish store and purchase “cured” live rock. It should be submerged in water at the store when you buy it. You want to purchase a large amount.

OP
OP
N

NoobSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pieces with the fake coral, those are doing you no good. You want to go to a Different fish store and purchase “cured” live rock. It should be submerged in water at the store when you buy it. You want to purchase a large amount.
So not the dried reef rock that comes in 20-50 pound boxes? I want to ensure I get the right stuff.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not the dried reef rock that comes in 20-50 pound boxes? I want to ensure I get the right stuff.
No, not dry. And again, I’d look for a better fish store. From what you’ve said, you’re being given terrible advice from the place you’ve gone so far.
You want Cured Live Rock. Most places with have a large trough or basin full of it. Fully submerged with filtration running. Hundreds of pounds. You will pick out individual rocks, you’ll want 20+ lbs minimum.

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look up a local saltwater fish store they should have bins of rock that are attached to their water system. This is the rock you want . For the amount you need it should be less than $100

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the sand you bought helps get things started . The rock is where all the good stuff wants to live and reproduce.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back