OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butch and Sundance: R2R. R2R: Butch and Sundance.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417966489.974092.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417966510.691119.jpg

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinals! I just bought one of my own recently. Im interested in seeing how yours do. Mine is having some trouble with all the flow and it lays flat on the bottom of the tank everynow and then, but its the biggest eater in the tank.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke the cardinal rule: didn't ask to see them eat. Never again. Neither eating. Came home yesterday to Sundance dead. Tried frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried brine, and nothing. Hatching live brine as we speak. Have supplements being delivered today (selcon). I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Ph 8
Am 0
No2 0
No3 5-10 (likely from uneaten food)
Sg 1.0247
T 79.5

Did a 25% WC.

Last edited:

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure on that one. Mine was a big eater as soon as i put him in the tank.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: was out of town and came home to Butch still alive :) Was in Memphis today so stopped by Memfish and picked up some live Brine shrimp in case mine hadn't hatched (they hadn't), some Rod's fish only and some Prazipro.

He didn't recognize Rods as food, but I did see him eat at least 5 big BS, while spitting out about 10 others. I am hopeful at this point.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm crushed. Woke up to a dead Butch. I don't know what is going on. Thought I had him eating brine. Tried Frozen mysis, blood worms, rods food, freeze dried BS, and hatched brine in Selcon. My water parameters are fine. Not sure what to do at this point.

Ph8
Amm 0
No2 0
No3 <5
SG 1.02475
T 79.5

Feel horribly guilty.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showed my wife some mockups of what the fixtures would look like suspended from the ceiling.

I have now been given the go-ahead to build matching canopy!

:D

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, i would get the biggest skimmer i can fit and forget the fuge. more of a nitrate trap in my opinion
I know this is a relatively old reply, but I have to make it said that a refugium is one of the best things for an aquarium. A skimmer can skim out solids, but not remove dissolved chemicals that well, and a refugium does that for you. It's generally thought that the bigger the refugium the better. What you said is also correct though, the biggest skimmer you can get is preferable, but also the biggest refugium.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a relatively old reply, but I have to make it said that a refugium is one of the best things for an aquarium. A skimmer can skim out solids, but not remove dissolved chemicals that well, and a refugium does that for you. It's generally thought that the bigger the refugium the better. What you said is also correct though, the biggest skimmer you can get is preferable, but also the biggest refugium.
You are correct about the refugium but like you said it has to be fairly big to be effective. In most people's cases a huge refugium is not plausible. In my case a huge skimmer and a phosphate/ carbon reactor is the best choice. I was in the wrong though I should of fully explained both concepts

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct about the refugium but like you said it has to be fairly big to be effective. In most people's cases a huge refugium is not plausible. In my case a huge skimmer and a phosphate/ carbon reactor is the best choice. I was in the wrong though I should of fully explained both concepts
I guess it's true that a little 3 gallon refugium isn't going to do any good for a 7509 gallon.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both methods wI'll be successful, it's just whatever works better in your specific system.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did a 60-65 gal water change. Will test tonight, but should be ready for fish. As the black ocellaris died (my LFS is convinced it was murder), I got another to match the one I had.

Upon introduction, they immediately were aggressive to each other. So now the one I had already is in jail.

A question, I have not had them long but they aren't getting along in the 20 gal QT. Do you this it feasible to acclimate them to the 75 and add them at the same time so no one has a territory? I only worry about limited quarantine, but I can't leave them as they are now.

Oh, the rain finally stopped so I've gotten a chance to work on the canopy!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419630784.053893.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419630801.410836.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 47 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back