Outside air line condensation!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was walking around the back of the house and heard this gurgling coming from where the outside air line exits the house. Sure enough, hot moist air when it entered the cool basement had accumulated water to the point that it was partially blocking the air intake to the skimmer. I'll punch a hole in the poly tubing at a low point but just thought I'd share as I'm sure others have probably experienced or not realized this was an issue. I have 3/4" poly tubing from my lawn irrigation system, so I can only imagine if a smaller diameter tubing was run. This is the first summer with the air line running outside, so I'll have to check it frequently. But it's definitely worth it, as my pH stays between 8.2 and 8.4 (kalk doesn't hurt either). Growth has been fabulous since keeping the pH high.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was walking around the back of the house and heard this gurgling coming from where the outside air line exits the house. Sure enough, hot moist air when it entered the cool basement had accumulated water to the point that it was partially blocking the air intake to the skimmer. I'll punch a hole in the poly tubing at a low point but just thought I'd share as I'm sure others have probably experienced or not realized this was an issue. I have 3/4" poly tubing from my lawn irrigation system, so I can only imagine if a smaller diameter tubing was run.

Thanks for the PSA! How much difference do you see in your PH since adding this oustide air hose?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call out.
My outside air line has a slight slope all the way back to the skimmer so if I do get condensation it runs down into the skimmer. Although, mine goes into the basement. if I had it upstairs, I would likely need to put a drain in in case that happened.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies by season, greater barometric pressure drops help give denser air (Mr paletta pointed that out) as well as Colder air. But here's a screenshot of when I put it in, in September (warm). It's 0.1 to 0.15 pH higher with the outside airline.

I also do about 100mL of kalk which is probably another 0.1 point.

It's all subjective of course growth rates, and this is an almost 3 year old 250 gallon tank, so your mileage may vary.

Screenshot_20200919-174626.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back