Outside air line condensation!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ocelaris
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
1,786
Reaction score
1,156
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was walking around the back of the house and heard this gurgling coming from where the outside air line exits the house. Sure enough, hot moist air when it entered the cool basement had accumulated water to the point that it was partially blocking the air intake to the skimmer. I'll punch a hole in the poly tubing at a low point but just thought I'd share as I'm sure others have probably experienced or not realized this was an issue. I have 3/4" poly tubing from my lawn irrigation system, so I can only imagine if a smaller diameter tubing was run. This is the first summer with the air line running outside, so I'll have to check it frequently. But it's definitely worth it, as my pH stays between 8.2 and 8.4 (kalk doesn't hurt either). Growth has been fabulous since keeping the pH high.
 
So I was walking around the back of the house and heard this gurgling coming from where the outside air line exits the house. Sure enough, hot moist air when it entered the cool basement had accumulated water to the point that it was partially blocking the air intake to the skimmer. I'll punch a hole in the poly tubing at a low point but just thought I'd share as I'm sure others have probably experienced or not realized this was an issue. I have 3/4" poly tubing from my lawn irrigation system, so I can only imagine if a smaller diameter tubing was run.

Thanks for the PSA! How much difference do you see in your PH since adding this oustide air hose?
 
Good call out.
My outside air line has a slight slope all the way back to the skimmer so if I do get condensation it runs down into the skimmer. Although, mine goes into the basement. if I had it upstairs, I would likely need to put a drain in in case that happened.
 
It varies by season, greater barometric pressure drops help give denser air (Mr paletta pointed that out) as well as Colder air. But here's a screenshot of when I put it in, in September (warm). It's 0.1 to 0.15 pH higher with the outside airline.

I also do about 100mL of kalk which is probably another 0.1 point.

It's all subjective of course growth rates, and this is an almost 3 year old 250 gallon tank, so your mileage may vary.

Screenshot_20200919-174626.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new