Over skimming

lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's no harm but you needn't skimming too often you can just do it every several days

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should define just what you mean by 'over skimming'? That's pretty vague and leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation.

OP
OP
yazeed

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean..
If my skimmer beger than the tank needs and it works like insane,is there any possibility to skimm minerals or anything the tank needs

HumanMachine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer should only remove what is bound to the microbubbles at the protein size level. You shouldn't be removing anything like magnesium, but it's possible to skim out things like plankton foods. This in and of itself is not a terrible thing. Getting a huge skimmer for a smaller tank just makes it that you purchased more skimmer than you'd ever theoretically use, depending on the efficiency of the model.

What do you mean by insane? do you mean skimming water?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you have a strict sps tank, yes you can overskim your tank!
if you are removing the food for your corals or fish, you are going to have to put the food back in for them. are any of your fish plankton eaters? they will suffer. do you have any lps or softie corals? they will suffer

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go too big on your Skimmer. Not that you would skim too much with a big Skimmer, but not have enough for the Skimmer to work. A 300 gal rated Skimmer on a biocube wouldn't be able to skim much if any.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your putting the needed nutrients back into the tank, via dosing or weekly water changes, your fine, skim away.
With over skimming, if you have softies, this allows you to overfeed the fish.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to just run your oversized skimmer for half the day, then when you upgrade you already have a skimmer big enough for it :)

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's it is possible to over skim unless you are doing something wrong . Does the glass get dirty , what is the redox number , how can you prove over skimming. Are the fish fat and healthy , are you feeding enough .

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your putting the needed nutrients back into the tank, via dosing or weekly water changes, your fine, skim away.
With over skimming, if you have softies, this allows you to overfeed the fish.

X2 on this.

elementzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 110 gal skimmer on my 40g, and it works wonders. I dont have to empty the cup that often and my water always tests perfectly.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skim wet and dry in my eyes. Wet will need a cleaning every day or two. Dry can go weeks before filling the cup. I cycle between the two types. If I travel for work, dry. If im home, wet. For me its just adjusting the gate valve.

ILuvMyGoldBarb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something worth mentioning is the efficiency of today's skimmers. 20 years ago skimmer technology was not even close to what it is today, and that is when the recommendation for getting a skimmer that was rated for twice your tank volume was established. However, with today's skimmers it's just not that cut and dry. Sure, that may get you close, but it may also get you more skimmer than you need. 20 years ago I wouldn't have thought anything of putting a Berlin skimmer rated for 200gal on a 75 or even 55. However, I wouldn't dream of putting a SRO-2000 on a 55 or 75 unless I was planning to pack it with a very high bioload. Comparing today's skimmers and skimmers from 20 years ago is pretty much like apples and oranges, so advising on skimmer size needs to adapt accordingly.

When I first started my 220gal, I intended to make it a FOWLR tank and therefore I purchased a SRO-3000INT. Well, the FOWLR idea didn't last long as the first few fish that went in were reef safe, and I upgraded my lighting to LEDs. At that point a FOWLR seemed pointless but the 3000 seemed like too much skimmer for a softie tank. So, today my reef is 95% SPS with a handful of LPS and a light-medium bioload, and the skimmer performs beautifully. I personally am a big fan of how Coralvue rates the Reef Octopus skimmers. They do give a general recommendation for tank size, but they also give recommendations for tank size based on bioload and tank type. IMO, that is the key to getting the proper skimmer for your tank. I personally like to balance it out so that I'm not having to replace a lot of minerals in my tank. Yes, I do dose, but I dose a normal dosage on everything simply because I'm not pulling a lot of extra out of my water.

OP
OP
yazeed

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every thing u said is true and good but dont u want a truly good water conditions for your tank!!!!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My skimmer always pulls gunk however recently it is filling and shooting a heavy mist. Needs a pump cleaning ???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Better to have over-rated Than Under-rated unit. If it pulls too much which is not likely as it will work less, lets go to that rule" needs to be dumped occasionally, Not frequently". Im sold on that concept.
Every thing u said is true and good but dont u want a truly good water conditions for your tank!!!!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back