Over your reefing hobby roughly how much $$$ have you LOST in fish and coral?

Over your reefing hobby roughly how much $$$ have you LOST in fish and coral?

• $100 or less

Votes: 46 6.5%
  • $101 - $250

Votes: 61 8.6%
  • $251 - $500

Votes: 108 15.3%
  • $501 - $1000

Votes: 152 21.5%
  • $1001 - $2500

Votes: 152 21.5%
  • $2501 - $5000

Votes: 82 11.6%
  • $5000+

Votes: 107 15.1%

• Total voters

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 101-250. We never lost to many fish over the years, some of our fish were 10+ years old. With corals is where the money was lost. Thankfully by the time a coral was dying for whatever reason it was able to be dragged and saved so that kept the cost down.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost nearly a thousand dollars at once 9 years ago next month when vandals broke in and through feces in my reef. They also did about $5000 in damage to the house. Luckily, we were in the middle of moving and most stuff was out of the house and we weren't there. We had decided to move the tank last so we knew where all the furniture was going and everything was settled. I went by everyday in the morning and evening to check on the tank. I pulled up and saw the front door open and a window broken and just got sick. We were renting back then and insurance only covered the furniture and electronics none of which were still in the house.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost nearly a thousand dollars at once 9 years ago next month when vandals broke in and through feces in my reef. They also did about $5000 in damage to the house. Luckily, we were in the middle of moving and most stuff was out of the house and we weren't there. We had decided to move the tank last so we knew where all the furniture was going and everything was settled. I went by everyday in the morning and evening to check on the tank. I pulled up and saw the front door open and a window broken and just got sick. We were renting back then and insurance only covered the furniture and electronics none of which were still in the house.
That's horrible! Sorry for the loss

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spent $400 on a cornbread auction and got a cold heat pack which caused everything to look bad and lost everything a week later then called cornbread and told them and they were completely a$$holes saying it’s not there fault and they only care if it’s a doa so I lost a lot from them, and I’ve lost a few from wwc and lost a brain a few weeks ago can’t figure out why had him for about 4 months and one day he fell over and I put him back and he wasn’t looking happy and then a week later he started to brown out

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through a huge alk swing when my calcium reactor broke lost everything but my nem, flower nem, and some zoasbut that alone probably lost $1500. This was about 4 months ago and I still haven't gotten the tank re stabilized.

leicaguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in 2004 I lost power for 2 weeks, ..... a hurricane,.... the generator stopped working and I had fish and coral soup ! The aquarium was 500 gallons and it was packed just packed it all died....LOTS of money lost....

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the saltwater hobby since the 90’s, so really hard to figure. I will say I have only been in the reef hobby for the last 2 years, and man this is rxpensive. I lost probably $400 (what i paid) this year alone.

Before, being fish only, the worst year I had was losing 2 leopard sharks (carpet surfers) in the late 90’s.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the 20+ (year) club. Much has been learned since my first tank in 1990, many animals (and algae) have paid the price for that knowledge. It's not so much about money to me. It's about a well-meaning aquarist and the learning-curve of the hobby. Sorry for my ignorance, critters.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't want to think about it! :( Hate losing anything.

@dbl

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why I will not have shrimp in my tank... except a pistol shrimp. Any type of cleaner shrimp and even a coral banded will cut open your fleshy LPS and steal the food right out of their mouths. Shrimp are evil and belong in the sump to kill bristle worms and take care of left over food.
My sabae eats every cleaner shrimp I put in the tank.

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots. Hurricane Charley wiped me out except a single candycane that I still have. Hurricane Irma took out 75%. It wasn't as bad as Charley, but I had much pricier stuff.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I know mine is in the $5000+ range by the time I put in the tank crash from a while ago, deaths due to transhipping, and a velvet outbreak I had. Let’s just say chalked up to lessons learned :(

I imagine I'm well into five figure over my 30 year reefing obsession ...... but then anything adds up over that length of time ..... $5,678 on toothpaste .....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 100 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back