Overdosed hydrogen peroxide. Help!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone. Really appreciate the input. I ended up not doing any more than the initial 20 gallon waterchange as other threads on the topic mentioned that the H2O2 will evaporate within an hour or so, and it would have been hours before I got back with any RODI from my buddies.

I did put in an airstone as someone suggested this might increase the evaporation. At lights out last night everything looked fine actually, including sps, acros, and a range of lps and softies. Just the zoas looked mad. I'll update the thread with total casualties just in case anyone following now or poor suckers in the same boat are looking in the future. To clarify, it was 30 ml of 3% H2O2. While 1 ml per 10 gallon appeared to be the recommended dose to me from online instructions (so 7 ml for my 70 g frag tank), it seems others have purposely dosed more with no ill effects. So fingers crossed everything is fine when the lights come on!
The only things that didn't react well to my h202 treatments were my hammer and trumpet coral. Especially the hammer. He hated it. They both recovered though.

OP
OP
Humble_Reefer

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Crisis averted -- or maybe there never was one. Almost all corals are looking fine: bonsai acro, birdsnest, monti, lepto, lepta, shrooms, cloves, zoas, octospawn, acans, lobo. Only my photosynthetic gorgonians are still looking upset. Coris wrasse, midas blenny, and crabs/snails all look fine as well.

So 4x the often recommended dose (1 ml of 3% h2o2 per 10 gallons) seems to either have little effect on the corals, or was solved by a 30% water change and adding an airstone.

On the plus side the aglae looks to be reduced. Planning to dose (correctly this time) again today.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Havent had a good freak out like that since my first tank 3 yrs ago!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add your thread to our peroxide study thread, overdoses are a part of using it occasionally this helps others to see remediation and after issues if any

post tank pic if poss

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back