Overflow box question

Sexytang

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m wanting to start doing some upgrades on my 36g a little here and there. Wanting to add a little overflow box to my tank and setup a sump and refuge. Maybe make my own protein skimmer question is will this nano protein skimmer work on my 36g maybe if I add a u valve to it for little more flow. Atm all I run on the tank is a small hob filter
35CF1BB2-07EA-4C09-A8BE-2F06F62760A8.jpeg

OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Plan on building a diy sump with plastic dividers. Or will a little three compartment organizer work in a sump and not put the dividers

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Im actually in the same boat as you. I have a 40 breeder running an AIO at the moment. Im gonna be doing a 10 gallon DIY sump. I bought a baffle kit off of ebay. Im gonna be using silicone for the baffles. I say go get a 10 or 20 gallon tank from Petco and do it yourself

pixelbit

View Badges
Reaction score
I just did an upgrade on my tank, with a 10 gallon sump and an overflow. (Check out my tank build to see what I did: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/20-gallon-long-reef.382759/post-7017749 ) It was the best decision I have made for the tank so far. Increased volume, more space to work with equipment, nearer overall look.

Regarding flow, I run my sump as a low flow. Saves me on my electrical bill. I have a separate gyre in the main tank for water movement. But the nano sized overflow I got will handle significantly more flow than I am putting through it.

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
I just did an upgrade on my tank, with a 10 gallon sump and an overflow. (Check out my tank build to see what I did: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/20-gallon-long-reef.382759/post-7017749 ) It was the best decision I have made for the tank so far. Increased volume, more space to work with equipment, nearer overall look.

Regarding flow, I run my sump as a low flow. Saves me on my electrical bill. I have a separate gyre in the main tank for water movement. But the nano sized overflow I got will handle significantly more flow than I am putting through it.
[/QUOTE
I just looked at your thread. looks good man

pixelbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks!
It's working rather well. I actually shut off my return pump twice a day (once to feed, once at night). So far no issues restarting the overflow.

Do you think that slowing down the water through your sump benefits the chemistry of your tank?

• Yes (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 67 18.8%
  • No (why do you think that?)

Votes: 87 24.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 195 54.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors