Overflow filter

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory: So my IM 75 EXT has the bean style but not enough room to run elbows. So I run 2 1" pipes as the secondary and emergency flow and the main is just the bulkhead.

Issue: I've had a lot of particles in the water and I've been changing socks regular to help keep it down; not working. Started dosing the DIY Coral Snow with microbater7 to capture said particles; not working.

Test: Recently bought a dual reactor and only running gfo so I have the sponge filters that are supposed to be used with the carbon. So I placed it on top of the bulkhead to help capture more so maybe it stops continuing to run through my system.

Question: anyone have any other ideas to help or have tried this?

PXL_20230118_004924409.jpg PXL_20230118_004932168.jpg

OP
OP
Mikey-D

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already discarded it....I have my pump scheduled to turn off at time during the day and it doesn't stay put during that time cause the pressure of the water is not there to keep it in place....I really don't have extra room, so the wheels are spinning now to figure something out

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you turning your pump off durring the day? I've never heard of anyone running a return pump on a cycle. I run all of mine 24/7 except when feeding.
You could go to finer socks maybe. Also changing every other day is not unusual.

OP
OP
Mikey-D

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a feed schedule for my auto feeder while I'm at work...the feeder is directly next to the loc-line so this ensures the fish get to the food

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that but I wasn't sure how long that would last to where the socks are overflowing because now that's clogged up...unless I'm changing it out every other day
I actually lay a sheet of fleece over the top of my socks now which does the job. It's quik and easy to change and quietens the water trickle nicely.
Before that I would roll up a square of fleece about the size of the socks. I would push this right down into the sock and just pull it up a little as the fleece clogged. This would last a week or so and each adjustment would lift the trapped detritus out of the water flow.

OP
OP
Mikey-D

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually lay a sheet of fleece over the top of my socks now which does the job. It's quik and easy to change and quietens the water trickle nicely.
Before that I would roll up a square of fleece about the size of the socks. I would push this right down into the sock and just pull it up a little as the fleece clogged. This would last a week or so and each adjustment would lift the trapped detritus out of the water flow.
Nice....I will try that!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back