Overflow issue

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a CPR Aquatics HOB overflow w/Aqua Lifter pump (I bought a tempered glass tank before I knew you can’t drill them) In all the pictures the aqua lifter pump is sitting on top of the overflow box. Is that necessary for proper operation?The overflow is bulky enough as it is and I’d rather not have the pump sitting right out in the open also. I know it’s not a very strong pump, and only comes with about a foot of tubing out of the box. So it seems the manufacturer intends it be placed on top of the overflow. Can I just add longer tubing and hang the pump on the back of my stand? It’d be about 4 extra feet of tubing combined. This is probably a stupid question but I’d hate to go ahead and try it and come home to a flooded house.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have to sit on top of the overflow box, and don't even know why they picture it that ways the lid is not entirely secure. It can be hung on the side of the box or aquarium.

EDIT: I do use the CPR overflow with the Tom's Aqua Lifter pump. I have mine hanging on the side of the tank as I had to constantly fiddle with the lid having the pump sitting on top of it.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a CPR Aquatics HOB overflow w/Aqua Lifter pump (I bought a tempered glass tank before I knew you can’t drill them) In all the pictures the aqua lifter pump is sitting on top of the overflow box. Is that necessary for proper operation?The overflow is bulky enough as it is and I’d rather not have the pump sitting right out in the open also. I know it’s not a very strong pump, and only comes with about a foot of tubing out of the box. So it seems the manufacturer intends it be placed on top of the overflow. Can I just add longer tubing and hang the pump on the back of my stand? It’d be about 4 extra feet of tubing combined. This is probably a stupid question but I’d hate to go ahead and try it and come home to a flooded house.

While I am not familiar with the lifter you have with the CPR overflow, I do know that a Tom Aqua Lifter pump will do what you are hoping to do with the CPR unit. Maybe we'll hear from someone with your specific unit or you can always contact CPR and ask them. Probably better to get the answer right from the manufacturer.

Good luck!

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have to sit on top of the overflow box, and don't even know why they picture it that ways the lid is not entirely secure. It can be hung on the side of the box or aquarium.

EDIT: I do use the CPR overflow with the Tom's Aqua Lifter pump. I have mine hanging on the side of the tank as I had to constantly fiddle with the lid having the pump sitting on top of it.
Its a relief to hear that. I really appreciate you replying. Another question tho (since you have the same set up) The rear chamber with the bulkheads doesn’t fill much at all. At most it has maybe 3 inches of water in it. Is that normal?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter where the pump is physically located. Concern yourself more with it moving over time because of vibration. There's a hang-on bracket available that will keep it out of the way and secure.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a relief to hear that. I really appreciate you replying. Another question tho (since you have the same set up) The rear chamber with the bulkheads doesn’t fill much at all. At most it has maybe 3 inches of water in it. Is that normal?

The rear chamber where the bulk head is at does not need to be filled all the way to the top. If the water coming from your tank is overflowing to the chamber to where the bulk heads are at, then that's good. What you need to keep an eye on is if any debris gets stuck on the strainer portion of the bulkhead. I keep a toothbrush near the tank and regularly brush the strainer to clear it from any junk that didn't pass through.

You will also want to make sure you keep the lines cleared of junk also since a small piece of algae might clog it. Keep extra tubing handy as well so that you can replace the lines often.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @W1ngz said, they do make a bracket to hang the aqualifter to the side of the tank.

I just used a ziptie and looped it through the the top of the aqua lifter and attached it to one of the leveling screws on the overflow.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rear chamber where the bulk head is at does not need to be filled all the way to the top. If the water coming from your tank is overflowing to the chamber to where the bulk heads are at, then that's good. What you need to keep an eye on is if any debris gets stuck on the strainer portion of the bulkhead. I keep a toothbrush near the tank and regularly brush the strainer to clear it from any junk that didn't pass through.

You will also want to make sure you keep the lines cleared of junk also since a small piece of algae might clog it. Keep extra tubing handy as well so that you can replace the lines often.
That’s great information. Thanks man! Btw, is yours quiet? The reviews said it was quiet but mine gurgles constantly and burps every few minutes. I didn’t install gate valves on the overflow tubing just hoping they wouldn’t be necessary. Now I’m starting to think I need to.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not quiet. I am using the corrugated gray tubing running to the sump. Not sure if hard plumbing it would quiet it down much.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not quiet. I am using the corrugated gray tubing running to the sump. Not sure if hard plumbing it would quiet it down much.
Yeah but being able to pull a full siphon would probably help right? I’m running that 1 inch shiny black flex hose from BRS. If I add gate valves with barbed fittings, shouldn’t that help quiet it down? Sorry to ask so many questions. I’ve only been in the hobby for about 6 months and this is my first build/start up.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're hearing gurgling from the aqualifter pump, then you might be getting air in the lines. Might want to use a zip tie to where the line goes attached to the CPR.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics of how I have my aqualifter set

20200121_181745.jpg

20200121_181758.jpg

Viscount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjacent topic, how do you have the hose attached to the overflow? I can’t seem to get the black hose to keep from leaking where it attaches to the bulkhead.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back