overflow issues

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so recently i switched over to a sump and skimmer and i using a hob overflow box, cpr cs50. I put a check valve on the line as well which i later found out i didn’t even need it because it wouldn’t serve any purpose, im having an issue where i don’t see a constant flow of water coming out of it and i’m not sure if it’s due to the check valve or what it’s not upside down to where it won’t allow the flow to come through so i’m kind of lost, i’m using an aqua lifter pump as well and it just seems to fill it up to the weir instead of overflowing and draining out.

IMG_1683.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so recently i switched over to a sump and skimmer and i using a hob overflow box, cpr cs50. I put a check valve on the line as well which i later found out i didn’t even need it because it wouldn’t serve any purpose, im having an issue where i don’t see a constant flow of water coming out of it and i’m not sure if it’s due to the check valve or what it’s not upside down to where it won’t allow the flow to come through so i’m kind of lost, i’m using an aqua lifter pump as well and it just seems to fill it up to the weir instead of overflowing and draining out.

IMG_1683.jpeg
Is there air in the "u" pipe? The aqua lifter can't pull it out?

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i fixed my problem, could been a faulty check valve so i just went with a bilge pump hose and everything works great now!

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I once used a Home Depot check valve vs a aquarium specific one, it failed and flooded. I was amazed at how restrictive it was and such. Servicing my check valves is now a requirement (to live in my house with tanks, per the wife).

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best to design things so you can avoid check valves all together.
I agree with that. I run 2 return pumps, one main display and the second is for a UV that runs from the return chamber to the display, on its own loop, not connected to main return. I need to be able to manage this remotely , meaning if pump one fails or my ATO is running out of RODI, I want to be able access my tank with no one home (vs turning a valve on a H pipe config). However, I don’t trust checkvalves at all. I’m fact I had to add a second one to my UV line as I had one fail (aquarium style), some Chaeto worked its way into the check valve and prevented it from closing. I am going to try and drill a 1/8 hole in the UV fill line, about 1/2 above water line and 3d print a bracket that will act as a splash guard but allow air to enter went it attempts to siphon, if it fails, it should just spray water across the top of the tank. We’ll see…

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i fixed my problem, could been a faulty check valve so i just went with a bilge pump hose and everything works great now!
I had a cs50. Did you find a big piece of sponge or something to put in that top under the door yet. It helps quite it down

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back