Pumping water into overflow - any issue?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm thinking af trying to do a setup to clear the water in my tank.
I don't really want the extra flow a pump will provide so thinking about adding the output into the overflow.
Obviously some of the water will flow out from the overflow into the tank itself, but are there any other things I need to consider before doing this?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I don't really want the extra flow a pump will provide so thinking about adding the output into the overflow.
Obviously some of the water will flow out from the overflow into the tank itself, but are there any other things I need to consider before doing this?
What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Is there a yellowish color the water?
Will this be temporary or permanent?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Sounds like a good way to keep the overflow clean.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Is there a yellowish color the water?
Will this be temporary or permanent?
Well, my water seems a bit hazy the ladt week or so.
It could be the sandsifter goby I recently added, or I just started noticing it after adding and orphek bar.
I just want to add a powerfilter, without messing with the flow in the tank.

I'm currently running a test but with a smaller setup (1000 l/h intake pump- small hoses, so maybe getting 2-400l/h).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my water seems a bit hazy the ladt week or so.
It could be the sandsifter goby I recently added, or I just started noticing it after adding and orphek bar.
I just want to add a powerfilter, without messing with the flow in the tank.

I'm currently running a test but with a smaller setup (1000 l/h intake pump- small hoses, so maybe getting 2-400l/h).
So, if your return pump stops you'll pump lots of water to the sump? Depends how your drain is set up I suppose. To be honest I thought you were talking about new waterchange water, lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if your return pump stops you'll pump lots of water to the sump? Depends how your drain is set up I suppose. To be honest I thought you were talking about new waterchange water, lol.
Always good to ask questions;)

OP, have you tried something as simple as activated carbon if it's yellowing of the water.
If it's particulates floating, maybe just use it temporarily, as Garf mentioned, if a main pump failed, it would overwhelm the sump.
You could just have it discharge in the tank to run continuously. (or temporary)

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true.
I need to take into consideration.
I won't be using it unattended, but stuff happens.
Thanks for the insight.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just turn the return pump off? If I understand what you're doing (and admittedly, I don't), the majority of the water will be pumped up from the sump and right back into it, with very little of it making it's way into the tank.
So, why even have it on?

Or, if you're just talking about directing one of the powerheads at the overflow, again, why not just turn it off?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just turn the return pump off? If I understand what you're doing (and admittedly, I don't), the majority of the water will be pumped up from the sump and right back into it, with very little of it making it's way into the tank.
So, why even have it on?

Or, if you're just talking about directing one of the powerheads at the overflow, again, why not just turn it off?
What I want is just like adding a canisterfilter. I would like not to interfere or add more flow to the tank, so placing the output in the overflow takes care of it.
But as mentioned by @Garf I need to make sure, I don't get into problems if the return pump should malfunction.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This plan IMHO is not a good one

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be much more efficent running it in the tank instead.
But you've stated you don't want to do that, so it's ruled out as an option.
Also, I don't think that's correct.

If this just happened since you added a sandsifting fish, maybe give it a few days/weeks to clear up. The fish is going to kick up all the detritus and it's going to take some time to settle back down or get filtered out.
You may be able to speed the process up by kicking up the substrate yourself instead of waiting for the fish to get through it all.

In addition to the other filtration ideas mentioned, you could also look into using calcium carbonate as a flocking agent to help clear some of it out.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This plan IMHO is not a good one
I agree. It is too risky.
But you've stated you don't want to do that, so it's ruled out as an option.
Also, I don't think that's correct.

If this just happened since you added a sandsifting fish, maybe give it a few days/weeks to clear up. The fish is going to kick up all the detritus and it's going to take some time to settle back down or get filtered out.
You may be able to speed the process up by kicking up the substrate yourself instead of waiting for the fish to get through it all.

In addition to the other filtration ideas mentioned, you could also look into using calcium carbonate as a flocking agent to help clear some of it out.
I want the suction side in the tank, but not the output. However, I need to reconsider.

For now I'll start by trying it in the sump, and give it some time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back