overflow issue

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a new 240 gallon tank and currently my overflow is not able to keep up with my pump. Right now i have the pump turned down so it could accommodate the flow from the overflow weir. Is my only option to increase the flow rate from the overflow is the remove some of the teeth on the weir. if I have pump at full speed; the reservoir where the pump is would be very low close to a point where it it will break the syphon and the water tank in the tank will rise very close to the top of the tank. I assume that is the sign that the overflow is not keeping up with my pump. i've attached a picture of my overflow below. any input would be appreciated. thanks

overflow.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, which tank is this (manufacturer)?
Next, is the weir not keeping up or the actual overflow?
How many drain holes? What sizes?
What pump and GPH are you trying to push through?
Pics of overflow and plumbing?

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, which tank is this (manufacturer)?
Next, is the weir not keeping up or the actual overflow?
How many drain holes? What sizes?
What pump and GPH are you trying to push through?
Pics of overflow and plumbing?
the tank is a tenecor tank. tbh i'm not sure if it's the weir not keeping up or the actual overflow. but when i have the pump at full blast the water level inside the overflow chamber never went above the intake pipe and the water level inside the sump is close to the point of the pump where it will break the syphon and the water level inside the tank is close the the roof of it. In the overflow i only have 1 1" intake pipe and 2 x 3/4" return pipe. i'm using the eflux dc pump rated at 1900 gph.

Attachments

• overflow1.jpg
    overflow1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 40
  • plumb.jpg
    plumb.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 36

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the three pipes in your overflow box. Are you using two of them as your return lines? If so, I personally would switch it up. I would use those two for the overflow, with the third should be an emergency drain. That third one should be taller than the other two.
As far as the sump almost running dry, you'll need to add water to it. You also want to make sure that when the pump is off that the sump doesn't overflow. You'll also want siphon breaks on the return lines.
I'd also redo the plumbing and take out the 90 degree elbows. Those are flow killers.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the three pipes in your overflow box. Are you using two of them as your return lines? If so, I personally would switch it up. I would use those two for the overflow, with the third should be an emergency drain. That third one should be taller than the other two.
As far as the sump almost running dry, you'll need to add water to it. You also want to make sure that when the pump is off that the sump doesn't overflow. You'll also want siphon breaks on the return lines.
I'd also redo the plumbing and take out the 90 degree elbows. Those are flow killer
yes the 2 sides are the 3/4" return pipes. originally my intake was just a straight pipe with a strainer but it was draining very slow and when i switch it to the 90 degree elbows it was a night a day difference with the drain rate. Here is the thing if I add more water to the sump reservoir the water will just raise the water level in the tank because when the pump is at full blast the water level in the overflow never goes above the drain pipe but the water level in the tank is near the top because it's not flowing fast enough into the overflow. i think buy adding more water; water will be overflowing from the tank.

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the 2 sides are the 3/4" return pipes. originally my intake was just a straight pipe with a strainer but it was draining very slow and when i switch it to the 90 degree elbows it was a night a day difference with the drain rate. Here is the thing if I add more water to the sump reservoir the water will just raise the water level in the tank because when the pump is at full blast the water level in the overflow never goes above the drain pipe but the water level in the tank is near the top because it's not flowing fast enough into the overflow. i think buy adding more water; water will be overflowing from the tank.
I can't find your tank on the Tenecor website. I was just trying to see what they rate that overflow at.
The elbows I was referring to are the ones on the drain line heading back to the sump. Not the elbows in the return box.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find your tank on the Tenecor website. I was just trying to see what they rate that overflow at.
The elbows I was referring to are the ones on the drain line heading back to the sump. Not the elbows in the return box.
Got it. Didn't tenecor went out of business long time ago? didnt know they still have a website out there. just found them via google they must have came back into business. this is a very old tank that was built before they went out of business initially. but if i ran the pump at full blast and the water level inside the over chamber never when went over the drain pump that means the drain should be sufficient for what's coming in right? only the water level in the main tank went up rose when the pump was at full blast.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Didn't tenecor went out of business long time ago? didnt know they still have a website out there. just found them via google they must have came back into business. this is a very old tank that was built before they went out of business initially. but if i ran the pump at full blast and the water level inside the over chamber never when went over the drain pump that means the drain should be sufficient for what's coming in right? only the water level in the main tank went up rose when the pump was at full blast.
Based on how you're describing it, it seems you're saying that the overflow box isn't filing up, it's that the water can't even get into the overflow fast enough. Correct?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say keep turning up the pump until you are just about to overflow the tank and see what happens. How close to the top of the tank is the water getting?

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the overflow and/or drain pipe cant handle the return pump. 1" drain can handle around 900-1000gph give or take. You also don't want to restrict flow on a single drain - possible flood.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on how you're describing it, it seems you're saying that the overflow box isn't filing up, it's that the water can't even get into the overflow fast enough. Correct?
Yes that is correct.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say keep turning up the pump until you are just about to overflow the tank and see what happens. How close to the top of the tank is the water getting?
I would say it was around a quarter of an inch.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're just going to have to run your pump slower.
I can't run my pump at full speed either.
If I remove some of the teeth from the weir I should be able to increase the flow right? If that is the case what’s the easiest method to remove it?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remove some of the teeth from the weir I should be able to increase the flow right? If that is the case what’s the easiest method to remove it?
I've read that it won't really change much.

OP
OP
R

rayluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that it won't really change much.
Interesting I just read this from another thread. I guess to only way to find out is to go for it. Lol Any recommendations on how to cut out the teeth easily? C458D57B-C63C-45D7-9015-CBE3564CBCAB.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back