Overflow options

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to modify a biocube I have. So far I have removed the rim, and side trim. I was thinking of setting it up with a coast to coast overflow but I am really uneducated when it comes to drilling and the basic mechanics of sump setup. I left the false wall in there until I make up my mind. So what do you guys suggest? Where should I drill. What size holes what size return pump what style of overflow ......So many questions.

20140531_161528-1.jpg

Last edited:

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to decide what/where your sump is going to be first.

Then you need to decide whether you want a HOB overflow box (like an Eshopps), or an internal one (like a glass-holes.com).

HOB don't require drilling - internal ones do.

Pros and cons to each.

As for drilling glass - you need to first know what size hole you want to drill (so you need to know what plumbing/bulkhead you intend to you) and then get an appropriately sized diamond hole saw for glass.

Watch a few youtube videos, but it's pretty easy and straightforward, you just must be patient.

Also, Do you intend to put the rim back on? I don't believe that tank is designed to be rimless...

thumperss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just remember it's a 50/50 chance at the glass braking when u drill it and if u have a glass shop drill it its still a 25% chance and cost about $20 a hole

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 chance of breaking?

No way. If you are patient and properly prepare and setup to drill, you have a 90-95% chance of success.

There are many hundreds/thousands of people on this forum that have successfully drilled their tanks.

I've drilled 6 tanks - some with 2 holes - and not one crack or breakage.

Yes, you can have a local glass shop drill it, but there's no need to be afraid of it if you want to do it yourself.

thumperss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have drilled about 4 and all were fine but there's still that chance and anyone who has drilled a tank has in the back of there mind hope it don't brake I have a friend that has drilled all his tanks and lots of other peoples tanks he got a 200 g DD and the first hole was fine the but the second hole was a bust sad day for a $500 tank

vwrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done do it yourself pvc overflows. Im currently building on for my 20 long. If you worried about breaking your tank it is another option. People say they gurgle and make noises but I have been toying with mine the last 2 days and it is silent .... definitely quieter than my skimmer. Just have to play with water flow and use a few techniques. If your interested let me know and ill go more into detail. Good luck.. it is a tough decision

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back