Overflow question

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now i know i want to plumb a bean, but the tank i got has 2 overflow boxes on back of tank, question is i want to get rid of those and go something like a c2c or ghost overflow, what recommendation do you gave.....oh yeah its a 180 gallon glass tank

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe run 2 ghost over flows and then plumb accordingly. I love my c2c but I hate how much real estate it takes up in the tank.

rob.makowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my modular marine. Admittedly, mine is on a 40 breeder, but they scale nicely. Also, it isn't a c2c, it's 14" long.

I'm sure that MM could make them as long as you want.

OP
OP
fetta

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe run 2 ghost over flows and then plumb accordingly. I love my c2c but I hate how much real estate it takes up in the tank.
That would be alot of plumbing going to the sump, unless im thinking wrong

OP
OP
fetta

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my modular marine. Admittedly, mine is on a 40 breeder, but they scale nicely. Also, it isn't a c2c, it's 14" long.

I'm sure that MM could make them as long as you want.
Just looked at their site, they aren't taking orders right now

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would run a smooth weir Bean and have a 1/2" acrylic C2C fabricated as long as possible, with the weir cut at a 1" notch(your waterline) and 1" radius' at the corners.

People do run teeth in Beans and other overflows and it's a matter of preference, but doing so doesn't benefit you the same surface skimming as those of us who run a smooth weir in a full length C2C.

And I'm assuming your tank is already drilled to accept a Bean, or you don't mind doing so.

OP
OP
fetta

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would run a smooth weir Bean and have a 1/2" acrylic C2C fabricated as long as possible, with the weir cut at a 1" notch(your waterline) and 1" radius' at the corners.

People do run teeth in Beans and other overflows and it's a matter of preference, but doing so doesn't benefit you the same surface skimming as those of us who run a smooth weir in a full length C2C.

And I'm assuming your tank is already drilled to accept a Bean, or you don't mind doing so.
Still in planning phase, gonna remove existing overflow boxes, cover holes and then drill new holes in rear glass once i figure which way gonna go

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. My tanks are down right now cuz I framed up an in wall for my 225 on the downstairs floor of my house but here's a couple pics.

IMG_7477.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third photo is an identical C2C to the one shown uninstalled, but its on my 180. I'm plumbing my 180 to my 225 in wall (pictured.) Adhered with Momentive RTV103 silicone. Spacing from the downturned ell's and the floor of the C2C is 3/4". Waterline is dictated by the notch of your weir and I personally consider the look of a waterline below 1" to be a total deal breaker. The corner notches on the weir are a 1" radius.

Good luck on whatever you choose, but I highly recommend something similar.

Last edited:

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude. Whatever route you end up going, and since you expressed you might wanna plumb a Bean( and if you haven't plumbed one before) just keep in mind there are many seemingly minor variables that can either leave you totally stoked, or make your life miserable. Things like (cavitation, for example,) resultant from attempted "cheats," like trying to make your C2C too small, too shallow, too narrow etc. etc.. Many a poor soul has tried to cut corners, plumbed and glued the whole setup only to be left in ruins. Gauranteed you'll never find any reefer who ran a successful Bean overflow and went back to a different method though.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HybridAzn brings up a valid point by the way⬆️Real estate. It's true and perhaps it's an issue for some people. Take a look at my photo for example. Both my tanks are 6' long. My C2C's are close to that and roughly 6" deep. From an overhead perspective that's about 6" lost on a big tank, depending on your aquascape. On the same token, I could literally bury my arm to the starboard and aggressively sweep it across the tank, trying to spill any water over the side of the glass onto the ground. Instead it would spill over the weir without even hinting at affecting the waterline. I can run whatever flow I want through the tanks, they're floodproof, dead silent, and the surface skimming is unmatched. Can't say that about any other overflow in the hobby. I can personally deal with a few inches of low light area in the back of the tank/lost real estate.(which isn't an issue if you run an external box)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back