Overflow question.

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not reef related but always seem to get good advice and help here.

I'm thinking about setting up a aquatic turtle tank. Will be for a musk turtle. Probably gonna do a 40 breeder or maybe a 55 gal. I'm only wanting the water level to be about 12" deep. Can I drill a bulkhead say lower down the tank to give me the water level I want? And do I really need a overflow box or could i get away with a strainer like these? Want to run a wet/dry sump. This would allow me to also not worry with the heater in the main display. Thanks.

20190924_152243.jpg 20190924_152230.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not reef related but always seem to get good advice and help here.

I'm thinking about setting up a aquatic turtle tank. Will be for a musk turtle. Probably gonna do a 40 breeder or maybe a 55 gal. I'm only wanting the water level to be about 12" deep. Can I drill a bulkhead say lower down the tank to give me the water level I want? And do I really need a overflow box or could i get away with a strainer like these? Want to run a wet/dry sump. This would allow me to also not worry with the heater in the main display. Thanks.

20190924_152243.jpg 20190924_152230.jpg
If it's for turtles, yes you can drill further down, and then just use a bulkhead with the strainer on the inside, and then pipe down to the sump on the outside. Overflow box isn't needed although it may make some noise depended on how much flow you have to straight pipe it. But the way you're describing is essentially what they use at the stores (petco, petsmart)

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's for turtles, yes you can drill further down, and then just use a bulkhead with the strainer on the inside, and then pipe down to the sump on the outside. Overflow box isn't needed although it may make some noise depended on how much flow you have to straight pipe it. But the way you're describing is essentially what they use at the stores (petco, petsmart)

Thanks, that's kind if what I was thinking.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tank for a co-worker for this exact thing. I used the strainers for an overflow and an emergency drain. The main overflow was at about 13” and the emergency was at 15”. The main had a gate valve to adjust drain flow. Was super silent and still had an emergency just in case.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tank for a co-worker for this exact thing. I used the strainers for an overflow and an emergency drain. The main overflow was at about 13” and the emergency was at 15”. The main had a gate valve to adjust drain flow. Was super silent and still had an emergency just in case.

I'll probably be sending you a PM with a few questions soon when I decide to setup. Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back