Overflow siphon w/ aqua lifter mod

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time you will have 2 types of overflow boxes. Weir or u-tube. The weir style comes with more flow and is equipped with a place for an aqua lifter or check valve to manually suck out needed air.

The u-tube versions require lifting the tube all the way out and sticking air hose in just the right spot and sometimes you don't get all the air

I just got finished routing my ro line through out the house to all my tanks so I don't have to use buckets anymore and had some extra hose.

I wa about to start te siphon on the box when I realized I could probably hook this aqua lifter I had sitting around I it. Now you have to get the hose in the right spot but you will never have issues with things like bubbles collecting so your powerheads can cause mute surface turbulence then before and the bubbles won't be an issue there either.

This also ensures your always at your max flow rate.

Another benefit, no more salty kisses. I would recommend a prefilter on re lifter because the tube likes to grow nasty stuff from the light that shines on it. (Mini algae scrubber lol)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358439352.792471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358439387.412902.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358439428.403469.jpg

You can see the tube in the tube
The lifter on the wall
And the foam in the box that would normally be of concern, and possibly stop the siphon.

Holy cow these things can be dangerous when left unattended for too many days!

I have also noticed on slow slow flow the box will grow cyano or diatoms and the bubbles created from that alone can stop a whole 1.5 inch tube from siphoning

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a u tube overflow for about 10 years. It should not require a lifter pump if you have the proper flow through it. Any bubbles will be carried out of the tube by the flow. I never had a siphon failure in 10 years. Keep the algae out of the tube and have enough flow and you will never have an issue with that type overflow. I do agree that you want the lifter pump with the weir overflow.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider tapping the top of the tube and installing a small John Guest fitting. One end threads into the top of the 'U' tube and the other end has the push lock to hold a hose. I just use a small plastic 'cap' used on the ends of wire shelving to cap off the end of the tube. About once every 3 or 4 weeks I need to pull off the cap, blow the water out of the tube, then suck s l o wl y until you see water headed your way in the air hose. Pinch it off, re-install the cap and your done. I makes restarts so easy after you pull the 'U' tube to clean as well.

Or you can add the aqua-lifter to that hose as well.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the john guest fitting but I was going for beyond simple haha.

I will probably do that at one point though, and add a prefilter. Possibly make a cover to keep light from causing the algae growth in the tube as well

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back