Overflow SOS

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef addicts, i'm starting my new project but I have some questions for all of you guys especially the experts Drilling the tanks and doing the new low-profile overflows, my question it's really simple, here we go:
I will attach the picture of my actual tank that has a regular overflow drilled in the bottom from the tank and the acrylic black cover it's in the middle of the rear wall:
c821278bd97484b849c8521e40c9e6ea.jpg

This is after I bought it when I was cleaning it in vertical position but you can see the overflow box in black color on the rear wall

3b5405a86ddc3c1165dc554f292c190b.jpg

This picture is when I was doing my aqua scape but I think you can see that in the back, once again with the black cover in the middle of the rear wall.

Questions:
1) I want to remove the rear black cover and take out the two overflows because they're taking a lot of space in the middle of my tank, is just a 50 gallon tank and that's a lot of real estate used for the overflows.
Once I remove the whole cover take the two PVC lines and remove the two bulkheads, what I can do in order to cover those two holes in the bottom of my aquarium???, was thinking to go to Home Depot buy a piece of glass big enough to cover the two holes, use some glass silicone and cover them, let them dry and then put sand on top and nobody will notice anything!!!!
2) do you guys think that what I have in my mind it is the right way to do it? Another thing that I was considering as well is to use another piece of glass and do exactly the same but underneath, please guys give me your opinion because this is my weekend project.
3) once everything is done and the holes covered, what type of overflow low-profile do you guys suggest to use in my tank I was having in consideration:
-The shadow overflow
-The eclipse overflow from eshopps
-The glass holes kit

Appreciate everybody's help and I'll be pending on your suggestions to start doing this whole thing, thanks and happy reefing to everybody!!!

Last edited:

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need glass the same thickness as the rest of the tank. Also that will be a custom cut and you'll want to to be a rectangle cut at the very least 2 inches longer than the holes in each direction. No need to put one on the bottom as that will just create a stress point and add no support. I've used the eshopps one and I really like it.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add... you should just leave the tank the way it is. That overflow isn't that big as all compared to duel corner overflows.

Really appreciate your words but the whole idea to remove it is to get more space, with the back painted black and a low profile overflow will not even noticed. And remember that the tank is only 50 gallons so I can get more space and less obstruction with the flow in between the two MP-40s, whole idea is an Acro garden. [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886][emoji6]

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, then by all means use my first post :) I can send you pictures of my eshopps running on my 40b if it will help you as all

Absolutely really appreciate if you can send me the pictures so I can have an idea about this whole thing!!! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank looks great the way it is. Seems like too much work for little gain, but it would be a nice improvement.

Here's what I did on my build, on a non-drilled tank. I added a glass external box with low profile internal acrylic box, and DIY drilled the glass.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put in a bulkhead and seal it off with a pipe and cap.

Initially thought about that but honestly I I got it scared that the cap make a leak or anything like that I think I'm gonna go with the glass on top of the two holes but I appreciate your input, happy reefing and good luck!!!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a bigger uglier overflow for a reef ready 90 I cut the black piece out used threaded by threaded bulkheads and put caps on both sides with teflon paste. Hasn't leaked in the last three months.

The sand covers the bulkheads alon with a monti of tight it won't leak think about it this way it's the same bulkheads u would put in the tank with the overflow in their now so why be scared.

I was scared of siliconing a new piece of glass over the holes of the silicone didn't make a good seal then wet floors.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scottedontknow thanks for the picts, really appreciate and I think im going with the Eclipse medium size!!!!
Get one based on your flow

I got the synergy reef 16 ghost and because I run close to 3000 gallons an hour they it is is not silent at all(this is not synergy reefs fault at all)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when ur pushing over 3000 gallons thru it the front weir can't handle the water
IMG_2071.PNG
that's my left return only a vectra m1 at 80% my right one is plumbed exactly the same way my other flow sensor is coming today so I will be able to verify it but if you do the math that's 3944 gph thru the overflow.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when ur pushing over 3000 gallons thru it the front weir can't handle the water
IMG_2071.PNG
that's my left return only a vectra m1 at 80% my right one is plumbed exactly the same way my other flow sensor is coming today so I will be able to verify it but if you do the math that's 3944 gph thru the overflow.

That would be my vote. Also a piece of 1/4 glass silicone on the inside big enough to cover all the holes would work.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2071.PNG

That would be my vote. Also a piece of 1/4 glass silicone on the inside big enough to cover all the holes would work.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2071.PNG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back