Overflow Water Level?

Eye H8 Empty V

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
486
Reaction score
675
Location
Magnolia, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so my tank is setup, now I need some help with tuning the return pump and drains. I’ve got a 1.5” main drain that’s reduced to 1” at the sump and a 1” emergency drain.

I have the main drain with e a conical screen about 4” below the water level, and the emergency drain is about 1/4” below the overflow too.

1. What should the overflow water level be?

2. Should I raise the emergency drain above the overflow so the water doesn’t contact it tricked down into the overflow during normal operation?

3. My return pump chamber level is the same as the rest of the sump. Should this be lower? If so how do I drop the level.

il using a trigger systems platinum 39 sump with adjustable baffles.

Thanks!!!

7D86898E-D9D3-4AA0-A8C0-BCC6DDBE2389.jpeg
 
Looks like you're using a Herbie style? Single main with a valve and fully open e drain.

Overflow level can be wherever you want it to be, but most try to get the level as close to the bottom of the weir as possible, to keep it the most quiet.

On a Herbie, I tune the height so that there is just a trickle going over the e drain.

There is no problem with having your return chamber level the same as your other chambers, as long as water is flowing through.
 
As long as there's no risk of water backing up and flowing over the top of your aquarium, now or in the future as stuff grows in your plumbing, AND, you're getting a good surface pull to pull any biofilms that can occur on the surface of the DT water any level is fine. I'd be happy with what I see in the pic. I'd also be happy if the level was close to the main drian also.
 
I can’t tell from your pictures, but I think your Strainer is the problem. The Strainer Roll is for Rain Gutters, make sure the stuff you get isn’t Metal, covered in Plastic. It’s Ratchet Type Wire Tied and Industrial Hot Glued together,
 

Attachments

  • 14EED1D4-C584-47C9-9F20-2AF34687A17E.jpeg
    14EED1D4-C584-47C9-9F20-2AF34687A17E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 4C4CFD78-40F9-4EE5-B11C-F9D8762DEEE5.jpeg
    4C4CFD78-40F9-4EE5-B11C-F9D8762DEEE5.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 73DD5EAE-4E9F-48B7-9859-83E55DC648F1.jpeg
    73DD5EAE-4E9F-48B7-9859-83E55DC648F1.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 8387D028-A530-4A4E-9BE8-018207CD28F0.jpeg
    8387D028-A530-4A4E-9BE8-018207CD28F0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new