overflow

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently found an excellent deal on a skimmer. ive been running a cannister for a few months now, and want to start getting into corals at some point, and want to help my current setup with the water parameters, so i am going to be making my own sump with refugium and filtration. since it is going onto an existing tank, the option that i feel that i will be limited to, for the time being with be a HOB overlow. i am scared to death about having the siphon break, and thus causing a huge watery mess. granted, this will only be on a 20 gallon at the moment, but, i am a worry wart, so i am hoping that there is someone with experience with the HOB types. have you ever had a siphon break, or other catastrophic failure? i have found a killer deal on an eshopps overflow, so hopefully you all will give me some good news, but hopefully honest news.
p.s. the tank and whatnot will be upgraded in the future to a 65g, so the sump i am making will be made from a 20 long.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 29g tall if you can. More volume the better.
A old reefer used to say. The solution to pollution is dillution. Or something like that. Lol!
Really go as big as u can.
D

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 29g tall if you can. More volume the better.
A old reefer used to say. The solution to pollution is dillution. Or something like that. Lol!
Really go as big as u can.
D
i understand with the more volume. however, the recommended water depth for this skimmer is 8 inches which ultimately means that with the extra height, the more tank volume wouldnt benefit since i would still max out at around 8 inches deep.
if youre speaking of my DT, my tank is already established, so i would have to completely restart the process, and i dont really want to go that route at the moment, mainly because space is limited (apartment living), and is ultimately why i dont have my 65 going right now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back