Overflow

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my overflow box I had the emergency and main. But the main was louder than it should. A friend of mine said I can replace the pipe with a strainer as in the picture and once I did that the level went up and down in my overflow. When the water goes up to emergency and flows in it’s dead silent but isn’t that just for emergencies…. Or is it okay that it’s slightly flowing into the emergency drain…… when it goes lower you hear the water from the box inside tank overflowing into the overflow. Adjusted gate valve and return pump and it just keeps going up and down. Should I just cut the pipe that was originally there shorter then add the strainer then put it in?

help

1C5AE564-5B82-45FF-8BEC-9541D5BC0699.jpeg E5F37518-3C6B-43B4-8FC5-06CAB32B862D.jpeg 2A5FB74C-FD6B-45C9-A6FB-868A7FC9C36F.jpeg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s ok to have a bit going down the secondary. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. You don’t have an emergency. You have a primary, and a secondary. If you had a third drain pipe you’d have an emergency

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and adjusted that and the return….
I did this (second picture) and it’s leveled off but just makes a little nose

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 28

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is getting organized and funneling. The strainer interrupts the water getting organized, and there’s no harm. Many people use two elbows to get the main drain intake to face down. Like this

969ACC08-D91E-4BAF-8178-4FB59B195492.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures in 1st post is right. If there is gurgling noise still there, you can open the gate valve a 1/4 turn. But you want a slight trickle down the higher pipe.

The second set if pictures, the gate is too far open.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s okay for the water to be going down my “emergency” or so I thought it was… it’s the herbie. A main drain and an emergency that doesn’t get used

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s okay for the water to be going down my “emergency” or so I thought it was… it’s the herbie. A main drain and an emergency that doesn’t get used
Most of us that run a Herbie don't have the second drain dry. It's possible, but very difficult to to get it tuned that way. You also don't get any surface skimming with the secondary dry.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us that run a Herbie don't have the second drain dry. It's possible, but very difficult to to get it tuned that way. You also don't get any surface skimming with the secondary dry.
So essentially that pic I sent where a small amount is going into the sump and it’s dead silent is okay and safe to have it that way?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By 4” between pipes you mean?
Higher; lower
Syphone swirl will be about 3"+/- deep. If it gets to the lower full syphone pipe... Sucking sounds, maybe syphone break.
Lower pipe, if no u shape, needs to be lower than trickle pipe to overcome this. About 4" +/-

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol going to decipher this message haha I suck at math lol. I’m a visual guy

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s perfect!!!!!! That’s how my first picture is basically!
Reason I was so confused is because that “trickle” you have. Every video I’ve watched says that’s the emergency drain and should be dry … but when I did the method you did in your amazing pic lol it was dead silent, but water was trickling/flowing into that so called “emergency drain”

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m heading home. I’m going to show you what I have now. It’s quieter but not dead silent like when I had the “trickle” into the “emergency drain”

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with a herbie, you need to have a trickle in the emergency. You also have to adjust it time to time. For instance, I feed flake food time to time, goes in the weir and into the drain. Eventually, it may slow the drain, gets more water in the emergency, which means noisier than normal. All I do is open the gate valve for a split second, close it to where I was about and watch my bubbles coming out the emergency. If their to many, open the valve a tiny bit. No bubbles, close the valve a tiny bit. I only want to see just a few.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with a herbie, you need to have a trickle in the emergency. You also have to adjust it time to time. For instance, I feed flake food time to time, goes in the weir and into the drain. Eventually, it may slow the drain, gets more water in the emergency, which means noisier than normal. All I do is open the gate valve for a split second, close it to where I was about and watch my bubbles coming out the emergency. If their to many, open the valve a tiny bit. No bubbles, close the valve a tiny bit. I only want to see just a few.
My guy! This makes sense!
standby to standby for pics lol please

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back