Overheated QT

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature probe pulled itself / fell out of the 55g qt tank causing the heater to keep running on max. Digital display maxed at 93 but it felt way hotter, hot-bathwater-temp. Had cuc but no fish or coral atm thank god. Looks like the only survivors are a few snails that climbed out of the water.
Thoughts? Are my rock & sand toast now...? Should I strip the tank & replace? Tank is cooling now and on track to normal temp. Plan to scrub the rocks off in the morning and water change.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature probe pulled itself / fell out of the 55g qt tank causing the heater to keep running on max. Digital display maxed at 93 but it felt way hotter, hot-bathwater-temp. Had cuc but no fish or coral atm thank god. Looks like the only survivors are a few snails that climbed out of the water.
Thoughts? Are my rock & sand toast now...? Should I strip the tank & replace? Tank is cooling now and on track to normal temp. Plan to scrub the rocks off in the morning and water change.
"strip tank" ... QT typically bare maybe with some PVC pipe hiding places which can't absorb medications if QT tank becomes HT (hospital/medicated tank) My QT tank is only setup on an as needed basis

Maybe details on what you planned to do in your QT... if treat QT like DT, doesn't sound like it was setup handling much bioload when heater malfunctioned. Keep an eye on your water parameters and see if your ammonia goes up with feeding, you'll know you're re-cycling. However my QT gets +10-20% water changes every 2-3 days when in use so fully support idea of typical water change

Whatever you do to recover, take it slow.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but i think bacteria can survive in temperatures upto 100 degrees and if memory serves me correct 100 degrees is boiling point so if went over this temp then you would see water boiling but doubt your heater could even go that high.but google it to confirm. As for any other life on your rocks idk but alot of stuff are stuff little buggers so you would be surprised what they can tolerate

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but i think bacteria can survive in temperatures upto 100 degrees and if memory serves me correct 100 degrees is boiling point so if went over this temp then you would see water boiling but doubt your heater could even go that high.but google it to confirm. As for any other life on your rocks idk but alot of stuff are stuff little buggers so you would be surprised what they can tolerate
Apologies, I was using fahrenheit. I am guessing at least 38C°

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"strip tank" ... QT typically bare maybe with some PVC pipe hiding places which can't absorb medications if QT tank becomes HT (hospital/medicated tank) My QT tank is only setup on an as needed basis

Maybe details on what you planned to do in your QT... if treat QT like DT, doesn't sound like it was setup handling much bioload when heater malfunctioned. Keep an eye on your water parameters and see if your ammonia goes up with feeding, you'll know you're re-cycling. However my QT gets +10-20% water changes every 2-3 days when in use so fully support idea of typical water change

Whatever you do to recover, take it slow.
Not currently much bioload no, cuc, some thorny oysters, small clams, sponges on the rock. It was formerly a DT. Moved to a larger tank but left behind old sand and some rock. Plan to eventually make it a sump after room remodel and new stand. Or possibly 2nd DT. This morning the sandbed is covered in about 5 million dead detritus worms and amphipods ugh.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not currently much bioload no, cuc, some thorny oysters, small clams, sponges on the rock. It was formerly a DT. Moved to a larger tank but left behind old sand and some rock. Plan to eventually make it a sump after room remodel and new stand. Or possibly 2nd DT. This morning the sandbed is covered in about 5 million dead detritus worms and amphipods ugh.
Shame all micro fauna died as seems like you had lots bio- diversity.
I dont actually know correct answer to give you with what to do with your rock and sand.
But i would GUESS with lots bio- diversity killed {worms/ampipods etc} that could cause amnonia spike possibly depending how much was in tank and their bodies rotting away so be best remove most of them by removing rocks out the water and scrubbing all dead off them and re- use rocks.
Taking all sand out seems like a ball ache job to do but maybe same needed ( well rinsed) .
Hopefully more experienced can guide you unless someone above already has as already forgot what wrote above lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back