OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have room for more coral in a high flow area? I may get a purple Kenya tree and move the other Acans to the substrate along with the super orange Acan. And reserve previous location for Kenya and zoas.

High flow area is between Goni, elegance coral. I think I can fit a nice chunky 4 color what I’m now thinking is a bower coral in by the Acans as well. If I do that then an elegance coral will be in the high flow area to block some of the flow from the bower

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently dosing Red Sea Calcium+ Magnesium. I may swap it out and try KALKWASSER….I have some Seachem PH that I’ll be dosing if not. until tomorrow here’s more close ups

IMG_5146.jpeg IMG_5145.jpeg IMG_5144.jpeg IMG_5143.jpeg IMG_5142.jpeg IMG_5141.jpeg IMG_5140.jpeg IMG_5139.jpeg IMG_5148.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be bumping up my carbon in this tank. I’m currently using about 50g of carbon running in a 90gph SICCE canister. I’m going to double that. I’ve been using Red Sea Carbon and my tanks thank me for it.
Keeping my BIOload in check with reaching over stocking for sure in this build thread

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.. You have a six line wrasse and a leopard wrasse and two orange shoulder tangs in a 10 gallon tank nano tank?

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.. You have a six line wrasse and a leopard wrasse and two orange shoulder tangs in a 10 gallon tank nano tank?
I moved the wrasses and 1 orange shoulder tang into another display tank.
The wrasses were fighting with the blenny and I have sand in another tank to tend to what the leopard wrasse needed, since in this current build I only want gravel
To answer the over stocking of fish in this display tank I have 1 orange shoulder tang, 1 scopas tang, 1 Blue hippo tang and a blenny in this tank currently.

My display is a 10 Gallon but my sump is 75gallons. Which I’ll be updating my sump to about 200 gallons later this year or after New Years since I’ll be adding more displays in the future.

IMG_5156.jpeg IMG_5150.jpeg

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overstocking? That is the understatement of the decade.

The size of the sump does not matter. A 10 gallon tank is not even close to being suitable for a single six line wrasse, let alone a leopard wrasse or ANY tang and especially not large tangs. Worse, you have crammed them all into a 10 gallon tank.

I strongly suggest educating yourself with regard to the space requirements of different fishes. You are not even close to having room for any of them and what you have done is a form of cruelty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overstocking? That is the understatement of the decade.

The size of the sump does not matter. A 10 gallon tank is not even close to being suitable for a single six line wrasse, let alone a leopard wrasse or ANY tang and especially not large tangs. Worse, you have crammed them all into a 10 gallon tank.

I strongly suggest educating yourself with regard to the space requirements of different fishes. You are not even close to having room for any of them and what you have done is a form of cruelty.
Ok FAKE GATE KEEPER. Mean while a wrasse/tangs are supposed to be housed in 150-200gallon tanks but are housed in less are equal with 20 different other fish that will reach 5”-12” which clearly removes the amount of water and space 1 fish would needs. Do the math and divide. No one in the fish hobby follows any rules when keeping species.
You walk into any fish store they have minimum 20 gallon tanks with 5-20 fish in them depending on species. With a oh what? Large sump stored away in the building
Secondly this is my $ , build thread and my knowledge that allows me to be able to safely house tons of fish and coral in my many set ups. Excuse your self from my thread if you don’t have positive actions here

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok FAKE GATE KEEPER. Mean while a wrasse/tangs are supposed to be housed in 150-200gallon tanks but are housed in less are equal with 20 different other fish which clearly removes the amount of water and space 1 fish would needs. No one in the fish hobby follows any rules when keeping species.
You walk into any fish store they have minimum 20 gallon tanks with 5-20 fish in them depending on species. With a oh what? Large sump stored away in the building
Secondly this is my $ , build thread and my knowledge that allows me to be able to safely house tons of fish and coral in my many set ups. Excuse your self from my thread if you don’t have positive actions here
It appears that you're confusing total water volume of the system with water volume of the main tank. The reason why people point to water volume minimums for fish, is it somewhat coincides with room to swim.

In this case total water volume doesn't mean anything for a large fish in a small tank. You can have a 10,000 gallon sump for your 10 gallon tank and it doesn't justify cramming a bunch of fish into the 10g.

And LFSs have multiple fish in small aquariums for resale. Not for a permanent home. Those fish are only in those tanks for a few weeks tops. I wouldn't be drawing conclusions to your tank etiquette and an LFSs.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that you're confusing total water volume of the system with water volume of the main tank. The reason why people point to water volume minimums for fish, is it somewhat coincides with room to swim.

In this case total water volume doesn't mean anything for a large fish in a small tank. You can have a 10,000 gallon sump for your 10 gallon tank and it doesn't justify cramming a bunch of fish into the 10g.

And LFSs have multiple fish in small aquariums for resale. Not for a permanent home. Those fish are only in those tanks for a few weeks tops. I wouldn't be drawing conclusions to your tank etiquette and an LFSs.
200gallon tank with 20 fish that reach max size of 12” plus a back wall filled with rocks which cuts that room to swim in half is nothing different. ITS LESS ROOM TO SWIM
I’ll say this I’ve seen fish in my LFS in 20 gallon tanks for months. 1, they QT their fish for a full 3 months before selling. Two not everyone is buying $100-$300 fish on weekly bases so I’ve seen fish houses in these tanks for a while. No deaths.
My fish are happy and eating with no parasites or signs of stress. I appreciate the feedback. Appreciate the view and my hard earned money and love for this hobby go to work. Don’t criticize when you see someone pushing the limits or showing proof of possibilities of this hobby.
I do not plan to permanently house any of my fish in a 10 gallon
Again I have other tanks, larger and small so if I see stress I have the means to move them.

PS I’m not interested in doing what we all see everyday.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok FAKE GATE KEEPER. Mean while a wrasse/tangs are supposed to be housed in 150-200gallon tanks but are housed in less are equal with 20 different other fish which clearly removes the amount of water and space 1 fish would needs.
I am not sure what a fake gatekeeper is.

You can’t equate a 200 gallon tank with 20 fish in it to the a 10 gallon tank with 1 fish in even if the ”math” is 1 fish per 10 gallons. It is about swimming room, species size, space to mark and keep a territory and feel safe, etc. Your stocking list isn’t evn in the ballpark for a 50 gallon tank, let alone a 10g nano full of rock and coral.

No one in the fish hobby follows any rules when keeping species
How do other peoples wrongs make yours acceptable? That is a very poor excuse and certainly not a justification for keeping a tang, or multiple tangs in a 10 gallon tank.

You walk into any fish store they have minimum 20 gallon tanks with 5-20 fish in them depending on species.
That too is unfortunate, but hopefully for most, very temporary until they are placed in suitable homes.

With a oh what? Large sump stored away in the building
The sump has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That is like saying we have a 10,000 square foot mansion but have confined you and your entire family to a broom closet.

Secondly this is my $ , build thread and my knowledge that allows me to be able to safely house tons of fish and coral in my many set ups.
This has absolutely nothing to do with money. If you possessed said knowledge and cared about their health and well being, you wouldn’t have a single tang crammed into a 10 gallon tank, let alone 5 of them or trying to justify it.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hard earned money and love for this hobby go to work. Don’t criticize when you see someone pushing the limits or showing proof of possibilities of this hobby.
Money has nothing to do with it. You are being criticized because what you are doing is unquestionably wrong (cruel), even if it is possible.

I do not plan to permanently house any of my fish in a 10 gallon
Again I have other tanks, larger and small so if I see stress I have the means to move them.
Those tangs are already too big for that space. Please be a responsible reef keeper and get them into appropriate living conditions.

PS I’m not interested in doing what we all see everyday.
There is nothing wrong with that sentiment. However, there are certain realities and facts that can’t be bent. Tangs (and wrasses) need open swimming space and territory. The size of a fish matters, as does its natural behavior.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That is like saying we have a 10,000 square foot mansion but have confined you and your entire family to a broom closet.
The sump has everything to do with a lot. 10gallons of water can quickly lose o2 and get pollutants. A large sump keeps the water quality in good order.

Sounds like NYC and California living to me. Majority population is in a bedroom and or rents out 1 bedroom for thousands of dollars. No one dies from this to my knowledge

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money has nothing to do with it. You are being criticized because what you are doing is unquestionably wrong (cruel), even if it is possible.

Those tangs are already too big for that space. Please be a responsible reef keeper and get them into appropriate living conditions.

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment. However, there are certain realities and facts that can’t be bent. Tangs (and wrasses) need open swimming space and territory. The size of a fish matters, as does its natural behavior.
Ok I see your point as being responsible about rehousing and I’ve answered that already. I move my fish into larger tanks. I start new fish off in this tank since it’s stable and to make sure they don’t have parasites before introducing them into my larger display tanks that has healthy fish. All fish here are new. Hope that makes more sense to you but I’m not irresponsibly reefing.

PS I hope you stick around for a positive perspective and see how this tank does. Which is why I started it to bring joy not anxiety :D

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump has everything to do with a lot. 10gallons of water can quickly lose o2 and get pollutants. A large sump keeps the water quality in good order.
That is an entirely different topic and not at all related to my comments or the suitability of you putting numerous tangs in a 10 gallon tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see your point as being responsible about rehousing and I’ve answered that already. I move my fish into larger tanks. I start new fish off in this tank since it’s stable and to make sure they don’t have parasites before introducing them into my larger display tanks that has healthy fish. All fish here are new. Hope that makes more sense to you but I’m not irresponsibly reefing.
It makes sense and I am glad you understand where we are coming from. Sure a baby tang can live in a small tank for a short period of time, but we are talking 1” or so babies.

PS I hope you stick around for a positive perspective and see how this tank does. Which is why I started it to bring joy not anxiety :D
Your coral looks great. Your fish stocking is what brought the anxiety.

Good luck with your systems and keep learning.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an entirely different topic and not at all related to my comments or the suitability of you putting numerous tangs in a 10 gallon tank.
different topic or not your on my thread bringing a personal issue and view towards me. I’ve been explaining to you about my setup and how I do things. If you can’t settle with that then your here on this thread wasting your time.
I’m very familiar with the owners of my LFS and believe me they are very successful in the fish and reef business.
Do what you love!

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense and I am glad you understand where we are coming from. Sure a baby tang can live in a small tank for a short period of time, but we are talking 1” or so babies.

Your coral looks great. Your fish stocking is what brought the anxiety.

Good luck with your systems and keep learning.
Stick around maybe that anxiety will go away

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
different topic or not your on my thread bringing a personal issue and view towards me
As explained, the overarching issue with the 10 gallon nano's suitability for tangs, and basis for my comments, was the size of their direct habitat. Total system volume as it relates to water stability is not the deciding factor. Nobody is arguing that larger water volumes are not more stable. What I (we) are saying is that in the case of a 10 gallon nano aquarium, even if it were plumbed directly to the ocean, is not large enough to keep a tang, let alone multiple tangs.

This is not a personal issue, it is just a simple conveyance of fact. If you are placing itty bitty babies in there for a few weeks until they grow and are healthy, then that is a different story.

But, the bulk of your response appear to indicate that you have absolutely no understanding or care for the space requirements of these fish, and fancy yourself an expert that need not be lectured by the status quo "false get keepers".

. I’ve been explaining to you about my setup and how I do things. If you can’t settle with that then your here on this thread wasting your time.
Given most of your responses, it unfortunately does appear that I am wasting my time. However, not saying something would be a crime and hopefully you take something useful away from this exchange. I learn every day, and I hope you do too.

I will also remind you that though you started this thread, this is a public forum and in that context anything that you post is open for comment by members of the forum. In this case, I commented and have continued to respond in hopes that you understand that a 10 gallon tank is not suitable for keeping tangs or other species that require more swimming room or territory.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back