OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on adding coral to the tank and connecting another dosing pump.
I’ll be adding pics soon.
I just have to say I scored on a very nice Favia which I can’t believe it’s a Favia with such color

Attachments

• IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5188.jpeg
    IMG_5188.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a venom favia coral what I think is a Favia?! Maybe someone can help on this ID and I picked up a leather. I may move the leather to the higher flow area to block more flow towards the back of the tank to shield the acan garden

IMG_5192.jpeg IMG_5195.jpeg IMG_5196.jpeg
Anywho it’s time to let this baby grow out and go for Tank of the month here on R2R

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if this Fungia coral is splitting? It what’s caught my eye at the LFS when I seen it. Where it shows purple coming through the epidermis it’s growing tentacles. Wonder if anyone would give feedback on this. I’ll post in the forum see if any one has info

Let me know if I should relocate the leather?
IMG_2867.jpeg IMG_2864.jpeg IMG_2868.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still would like a very nice Goni in this tank, I’ll be looking online which will be my first online order for purchasing coral
Since I’m sure this tank is over stocked I’ll be checking Ammonia levels frequently

Last edited:
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about to set up a 60 gallon, not sure if I should continue this here or set up another build thread.
“60 breeder turned into a 40 gallon” available space. I’ll be 3D printing panels to set up refugium and sump inside the tank
While that’s happening here’s some shots of corals feeders out during the day. My tank is pretty greedy I like it!!!!

IMG_5198.jpeg IMG_5201.jpeg IMG_5202.jpeg IMG_5203.jpeg IMG_5199.jpeg IMG_5205.jpeg IMG_5208.jpeg IMG_5206.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up the 60 gallon and set it in its place to be.
I’m running an airline tube from the skimmer to the outside. The skimmer was pulling down my PH in a serious way.

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be doing 1-2 gallon water changes daily to combat ammonia. .25 is current levels. Ill be using the water from the nano tank to start up the 60 gallon

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a lot less feeding in the nano tank and performing daily 2 gallon water changes.
Finishing up the 60 gallon today. Looking to get things up and running before holidays

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really confused. You’ve mentioned a scopas tang, wrasses, I saw a hippo tang, an orange shoulder tang, a blenny, and your water has been doing some big swings and I see Marine Buffer, magnesium, All-for-Reef, Seachem pH and now your ammonia is rising, and you’re now trying to combat it with a pad and matrix … my question is if this is all happening in just one tank? If it is all happening in one 10g tank it boggles the mind! AfR is for tanks that already have an established consumption rate and won’t stabilize out of wack mag/cal/alk. In tanks that small 20% weekly water changes should be enough for startup. Tangs poop a lot and can overload a new tank pretty quick even with a sizable sump. I don’t think your tank has been set up long enough to handle what you’re throwing at it. Hope your tank prospers!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about to set up a 60 gallon, not sure if I should continue this here or set up another build thread.
“60 breeder turned into a 40 gallon” available space. I’ll be 3D printing panels to set up refugium and sump inside the tank
While that’s happening here’s some shots of corals feeders out during the day. My tank is pretty greedy I like it!!!!

IMG_5198.jpeg IMG_5201.jpeg IMG_5202.jpeg IMG_5203.jpeg IMG_5199.jpeg IMG_5205.jpeg IMG_5208.jpeg IMG_5206.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg
Great looking coral!

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really confused. You’ve mentioned a scopas tang, wrasses, I saw a hippo tang, an orange shoulder tang, a blenny, and your water has been doing some big swings and I see Marine Buffer, magnesium, All-for-Reef, Seachem pH and now your ammonia is rising, and you’re now trying to combat it with a pad and matrix … my question is if this is all happening in just one tank? If it is all happening in one 10g tank it boggles the mind! AfR is for tanks that already have an established consumption rate and won’t stabilize out of wack mag/cal/alk. In tanks that small 20% weekly water changes should be enough for startup. Tangs poop a lot and can overload a new tank pretty quick even with a sizable sump. I don’t think your tank has been set up long enough to handle what you’re throwing at it. Hope your tank prospers!
Hey welcome to my build thread. This tank has been running for over a year, I just posted this build thread with new coral etc. I have multiple tanks with cycled rock and water that I can creat many tanks over. Which is why I’m starting another 60 gallon and it’s primed and ready, I recycle my water during water changes.

1.) Also I have no major swings in this tank. PH 8.3 , Nitrates 5, Phos .2 , Calc 475, Mg 1500, Ammonia .01.
AFR I stopped using because i rather dose calcium and magnesium separately.

2.) Ammonia spiked due to me over feeding this tank. I mentioned this just above in a recent comment. Currently ammonia is under control and back to near zero levels.

3.) yes I updated the biofiltration to bring more stability if I choose to feed more again. Also added a ton of hermit crabs to get all the uneaten food.

4.) 60 gallon is about done just need to pick up the skimmer and a reactor. Updated pics coming soon maybe today with new coral as well

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how the 60 gallon is doing. Petco has a tank sale going right now so I picked up another tank for the sump. I’ll no longer will be turning the 60 into a AIO.
Soon as i pick up the skimmer and reactor I’ll turn on the 1000 gallon/h pump and let the reefing begin.
I’ll add Hue LED strip lights around my sump to create a more futuristic look since this sump is exposed. I intend for it to look like high tech decor
I have the display tank low to the floor as to create a true top down look. I want a different perspective here for this tank
IMG_5228.jpeg IMG_5230.jpeg

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you guys can tell I haven’t cleaned my glass in a bit, gets like this every other day. How long do you guys go without cleaning your glass??? I should do a poll. Just performing the daily water changes and feedings. Corals are super healthy and juicy as always.
Seeing new coral growth and Yuma much room getting all bubbly :smirking-face:

TANGS ARE HAPPY AND ALOVE!!!!!! KEEP THE TANG POLICE AWAY!!!

I’m about to remove the blenny next as it continues to move gravel into the mouths of my Fungia. I had to suck one out the other day before the fungia sucked it in

IMG_5234.jpeg IMG_5233.jpeg IMG_5232.jpeg IMG_5231.jpeg

I have my cupcoral looking like a Duncan lol
IMG_5235.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back