Overwhelmed with aiptasia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m pretty sure they are aiptasia. All the pics I found online of yellow polyps are more uniform in color. Here are some close ups.
I am now on my PC rather than phone and agree and wow- Aptasia
With this many, You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this many, You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png
You win on this one. I took your advice got one in my cube and it ate the smaller aiptasia up in a few days. Surely beat the filefish that was a bust and lives in the sump.

PXL_20230301_213733323.jpg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a guy buy a majano from me, but for what purpose would you want these.

maybe I should tank the fish out and buy some berghia. Then harvest and sell the berghia?
Some people want aptasia to farm berghia..which is extremely lucrative with little effort except supplying aptasia.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

1669774874713.png
I looked for the banner butterfly you mentioned earlier and can’t find. Too bad as I was going to get some one time as they look like modish idols (which I really like) but not as finicky. I look this guy up.
What do you think about aurigua, raccoon, or others. I had a CBB that beat the aiptasia in my 110 reef then suddenly and mysteriously died, hid a lot so I can’t tell you if he starved to death after eating the aiptasia. Don’t really want to get a fish that isn’t long term. Since I’m doing the clown babies though I would have rotifers and starting brine shrimp this week.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I looked for the banner butterfly you mentioned earlier and can’t find. Too bad as I was going to get some one time as they look like modish idols (which I really like) but not as finicky. I look this guy up.
What do you think about aurigua, raccoon, or others. I had a CBB that beat the aiptasia in my 110 reef then suddenly and mysteriously died, hid a lot so I can’t tell you if he starved to death after eating the aiptasia. Don’t really want to get a fish that isn’t long term. Since I’m doing the clown babies though I would have rotifers and starting brine shrimp this week.
Not banner but Kleini. They are seasonal and should have good availability right now

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not banner but Kleini. They are seasonal and should have good availability right now

You said Heniocus earlier which I think is referred to as a banner fish (I couldn’t remember how to spell the scientific name lol). And wouldn’t mind a small group of these.
Are the Kleini easy? Is salty bottom good. I mainly buy from reefbeauties.com great service and 14 day guarantee, have bought from Pete’s aquarium when I first started back up, and have gotten some hard to find from WWC, liveaquaria and their divers den. Also know there is someone mentioned on here who sells QT’s fish but can’t remember site.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You said Heniocus earlier which I think is referred to as a banner fish (I couldn’t remember how to spell the scientific name lol). And wouldn’t mind a small group of these.
Are the Kleini easy? Is salty bottom good. I mainly buy from reefbeauties.com great service and 14 day guarantee, have bought from Pete’s aquarium when I first started back up, and have gotten some hard to find from WWC, liveaquaria and their divers den. Also know there is someone mentioned on here who sells QT’s fish but can’t remember site.
Heniocus was for yellow polyps and after realizing its aptasia- Kleini all the way

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Likely Dr Reefs

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Likely Dr Reefs
So do you think a Kleini is significantly better than a raccoon?

Also some guidance on restocking an aquarium. I have a 210 that I set up with Angels, screwed up and introduced ich eventually losing everything but a snowflake eel. I went fallow for plenty of time December4 - February 2 then added my lion fish on Thursday February 23 so an extra 3 weeks beyond, added six lined puffer the following Thursday, then my marbles Cat Shark last Thursday. I only ghost fed a little towards the end of the fallow period. My nitrates have risen from .2 to 4.6 since Feb 23rd. Would you think there is enough bio to add my panther grouper. If so I can move the two fish I have in QT since October (They we’re the next addition to the Angel tank) into the aiptasia tank giving me room to QT new arrivals.
Thanks.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven’t seen the ammonia badge budge except with in the first two days of adding the lion after feeding but only slightly changed and back to yellow in no time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So do you think a Kleini is significantly better than a raccoon?

Also some guidance on restocking an aquarium. I have a 210 that I set up with Angels, screwed up and introduced ich eventually losing everything but a snowflake eel. I went fallow for plenty of time December4 - February 2 then added my lion fish on Thursday February 23 so an extra 3 weeks beyond, added six lined puffer the following Thursday, then my marbles Cat Shark last Thursday. I only ghost fed a little towards the end of the fallow period. My nitrates have risen from .2 to 4.6 since Feb 23rd. Would you think there is enough bio to add my panther grouper. If so I can move the two fish I have in QT since October (They we’re the next addition to the Angel tank) into the aiptasia tank giving me room to QT new arrivals.
Thanks.
Yes and you have no clue how fast they mow thru aptasia and as mentioned very hardy with all foods, friendly and stays fairly small

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes and you have no clue how fast they mow thru aptasia and as mentioned very hardy with all foods, friendly and stays fairly small
Couldn’t find one from anyone that had the other fish I wanted as well. So ordered a raccoon and a Pearl scale. We will see if they work out. Otherwise I’ll get a Kleini as well.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB is soon to be two years in my tank. Feed it fresh (frozen) mussels, and it will live happily. Mussels are also great for all fish. I had no fish death for almost two years (Only a Fairy wrasse who carpet surfed). My refuge and overflow are full of Aiptasia. I occasionally stick the Cheato in the DT for the CBB to enjoy. Besides eating Aiptasia its a great looking fish with lots of cheracter.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
will this be reef safe or hit or miss?
Copper Banded Butterfly the only one I have seen suggested for aipstasia in a reef tank and that is with caution. Pretty much all other butterflies will eat corals, other anemones and clam mantles. I am using them in a mostly fish only as it has GSP but I feel it can hold it’s own.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
will this be reef safe or hit or miss?
Just had a fellow with the " wooHoo" who stated the blue head was a winner and had lots of them and now Zero
Here is his post:

Just an update.... Tank has been 100% eradicated of aiptasia minus 3 small ones that are buried deep in some rocks that nothing can get to. The huge ones, every one in the rocks, sand, filter intakes, all gone.

This Kleins has been the best fish addition we've added yet. I keep it well fed and it never even looks at corals. Hope this trend continues. It's growing nicely, and actually has some gorgeous coloring.
1680811688496.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back