Own 2x Seaclear 33 gallon tanks.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I am trying to stay under $500 for my first tank build. (Fish, sand and rock included in that number). I am coming from freshwater and stopped when I had kids (6 years ago). Sold my fish and equipment, but kept my tanks. Both are sparkling new, novus plastic polish works wonders!

I have looked at innovative marine 14gallon, AIO. With room for a skimmer. But, I just feel like I’d be eating my awesome seaclear tanks that cost me $300 each!

I am looked into refuge/sumps/skimmers but since I’m working with acrylic- I do not want to drill it, though I would.. i am just scared haha. Glass I don’t mind drilling, but acrylic kind of freaks me out.

Then I looked into HOB systems but the top of the seaclear tank is odd and doesn’t affect every HOB.
So I was thinking hoses and pumps, just became conflicted...which lead me here.

I have attached a photo of the top, because not every HOB will fit over the back.

Thank You

Edit: yes coral is great and wonderful, but my understanding is that a nice light would pop my budget.

Edit 2: I am a modern cabinet maker by trade, Nashville Modern Cabinetry, so building things is not an issue for me. I just don’t know what to do with these two tanks.. Ideally I would love one to be a display tank, and I can buy a 20g and make a refuge under it. And I can save the other 33 g for the future..

13D75AA1-A15D-4B8D-A915-C6F5E6286133.jpeg

Last edited:

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely invest in a decent light now; it doesn't have to be an Ecotech or Kessil. I have an AquaMaxx LED on my nano and am a big fan of it, but I have also heard good things about MarsAqua and SBReef lights. All of these should be in the $100-$150 price range. If that is over your budget, I would maybe sell your second 33 gallon to get the funds.

Also, don't buy the Caribsea or any branded sand as it will be overpriced. I used this for my tank (50lb bag for $12). For rock check Craigslist first. A lot of people have leftover dry or live rock for sale at great prices. For fish, regular occelaris clowns should only be $5 from a good store. Best of luck with the new build!

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely invest in a decent light now; it doesn't have to be an Ecotech or Kessil. I have an AquaMaxx LED on my nano and am a big fan of it, but I have also heard good things about MarsAqua and SBReef lights. All of these should be in the $100-$150 price range. If that is over your budget, I would maybe sell your second 33 gallon to get the funds.

Also, don't buy the Caribsea or any branded sand as it will be overpriced. I used this for my tank (50lb bag for $12). For rock check Craigslist first. A lot of people have leftover dry or live rock for sale at great prices. For fish, regular occelaris clowns should only be $5 from a good store. Best of luck with the new build!
thanks. I will invest in a good light right now then... $500 is my budget.

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With cabinet making skills you’ll have no problems working with acrylic, or building a stand for your tank.
I plan on making a build thread, once I get started with it all.

My largest inquiry right now is do i get an AIO. Or do I use my 33 g Seaclear and add to it. I'm having a difficult time locating build threads for this size of a tank. Lots of breeder tanks, but i have not found reef/fish tank. I have found some AIO builds though.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on making a build thread, once I get started with it all.

My largest inquiry right now is do i get an AIO. Or do I use my 33 g Seaclear and add to it. I'm having a difficult time locating build threads for this size of a tank. Lots of breeder tanks, but i have not found reef/fish tank. I have found some AIO builds though.
I’ve had AIO’s and tanks with a sump. I think you’d do well finding a sump for your 33 and build around that.

youll need to come up with an overflow/return, but there’s plenty of people on here who can give you guidance.

the rest should be pretty straight forward

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had AIO’s and tanks with a sump. I think you’d do well finding a sump for your 33 and build around that.

youll need to come up with an overflow/return, but there’s plenty of people on here who can give you guidance.

the rest should be pretty straight forward

well, as you could imagine, I was up until 1am reading and watching videos. And spent the first 6 hours of today doing the same thing.

I am completely overwhelmed.

Drilling for the sump is easy, glad I overcame that. Putting in the bulkhead and all the other plumbing is easy as well. The stand, placement, hiding wires, etc. easy. The return/pump all of it is simple.

here is my issue:
I went ahead and bought a 40 gallon breeder from peto, because $1/gal is going on right now. Figured why not? I’m sure I’ll use it some day.

so then I looked into buying a baffle set. ($100), because frankly - saving $50 to make my own is not worth it to me. My time is extremely valuable at the moment. A ton of work going on.

then I read allll these posts saying I don’t need media! Just bulkhead > pump > skimmer > bubble trap baffles > Fuge > pump return.

Then I was just thinking of ditching it all and getting an innovative marine aio 14g, with a tunze 9004 and call it a day. Mainly because I can’t find a single thread that says, “do this to start your sump”. Well, I have I should say, but they say different things haha.

edit: I should add, I also don’t know if I should bleached out sand or live sand. I am planning on having live rock, a lot of it. Rock in the sump area too.. I will be starting with soft corals,. Because I don’t want to spend a ton on a light to support sps right now. I will have fish, as many as I can get in there.. I plan on using a carbon reactor and adding GFO reactor if it’s needed(10% capacity maybe, add more after - wouldn’t want to pump out a bunch of organic)

Last edited:

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my sump with the return pump, heater, and some bio balls.

it was a month before the refugium got started and then another month before I put the skimmer in.

the ammonia and nitrite processing bacteria is what you need to develop at first.

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my sump with the return pump, heater, and some bio balls.

it was a month before the refugium got started and then another month before I put the skimmer in.

the ammonia and nitrite processing bacteria is what you need to develop at first.
Bio balls located in first chamber I assume?

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my sump is backwards cause of space. Drain -> skimmer -> refugium and bioballs -> bubble trap -> return

it works, and everything is easy to service

what kind of bioballs do you use?
I just read about dead rock and how I can cycle my tank super fast without using live rock. Considering getting dry rock now

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean about building a tank with overflow and sump. I've been keeping reef tanks for 12 years and always all-in-one tanks. Every time I think about doing a tank with sump I get overwhelmed with advice and methods and think...I'm ok with my aio. I know it's not rocket science, but I'm super cautious about potential floods in the house. I was also a cabinet maker for 4-6 years and I know what it's like to be busy with projects. I know other people will say different but I don't think starting with an Innovative Marine is a bad idea, especially if you can pick one up used. I would keep one of your Seaclear tanks and take the time to plan it out and build an awesome cabinet, then move your livestock over from the IM and sell it, or keep it as a frag tank or quarantine tank. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean about building a tank with overflow and sump. I've been keeping reef tanks for 12 years and always all-in-one tanks. Every time I think about doing a tank with sump I get overwhelmed with advice and methods and think...I'm ok with my aio. I know it's not rocket science, but I'm super cautious about potential floods in the house. I was also a cabinet maker for 4-6 years and I know what it's like to be busy with projects. I know other people will say different but I don't think starting with an Innovative Marine is a bad idea, especially if you can pick one up used. I would keep one of your Seaclear tanks and take the time to plan it out and build an awesome cabinet, then move your livestock over from the IM and sell it, or keep it as a frag tank or quarantine tank. Good luck with it!

thanks for this suggestion. I am not so worried about water flooding or anything, I got a 40 gallon breeder and then the 33 gallon seaclear. And I would keep that 40 gallon half full. BUT. I don’t want to do something i would regret with the seaclear #1.. and number two, after adding up all the costs of a sump (even diy), skimmer, jaboa Dow-15 fans (2). And a light.. and all the dry rock. Etc. etc. the innovative marine aoi is almost less.

edit: check out this awesome grain matched teak :)

5D6352BF-83E6-4D26-9893-9DA53BEC39E1.jpeg

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of bioballs do you use?
I just read about dead rock and how I can cycle my tank super fast without using live rock. Considering getting dry rock now

marine pure balls.

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for this suggestion. I am not so worried about water flooding or anything, I got a 40 gallon breeder and then the 33 gallon seaclear. And I would keep that 40 gallon half full. BUT. I don’t want to do something i would regret with the seaclear #1.. and number two, after adding up all the costs of a sump (even diy), skimmer, jaboa Dow-15 fans (2). And a light.. and all the dry rock. Etc. etc. the innovative marine aoi is almost less.

edit: check out this awesome grain matched teak :)

5D6352BF-83E6-4D26-9893-9DA53BEC39E1.jpeg
That's sweet! It's a lot like what I used to do- all clean modern cabinetry with primarily straight grain. It's been almost 8 years since I've been on a table saw. I miss it some days, but the hot summers in an uncooled shop, breathing MDF dust and spending hours in a spray booth aren't easily fogotten. It's tough work, but definitely rewarding!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back