Ozon reactor - not quite sure how it works.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at ozon reactors lately and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.
One type of reactors seems simple, and simple works with in/outflow and some carbon chamber to rinse the water before going back to the tank (no valve for off gas).
Then there is this:
or150_ozonereactor.jpg

It seems the water input is slowly 'dripping' down the reactor, and air/gas is going out through the blue tubing (guess the second chamber is for carbon).

If the above is correct, is this slower flow more effecient? It just seems that with such low flow most of the O3 will just go straight out the reactor.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times you can search a few products online and add “instructions” or “manual” and read up on the paperwork that comes with the unit. It can be a huge help understanding how it works (and whether you’d want to buy that brand/product). Best wishes!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times you can search a few products online and add “instructions” or “manual” and read up on the paperwork that comes with the unit. It can be a huge help understanding how it works (and whether you’d want to buy that brand/product). Best wishes!
Thanks, but can't seem to find many.
The problem is also, why one type might be more efficient than the other, and no companies states 'less effecient than...'

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend that you understand what the whole process is and how the chemistry and biology works and not just how to use the equipment - not saying that you don't want or know this already, just offering it just in case. Ozone can be more than some people are wanting to deal with. Once you know all of this, you can evaluate a particular piece of equipment and see if it is lacking or fit.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would probably be worth it to do a deep read into ORP too... they are very much connected to do this right. The same guy has a few articles on ORP, but they are some of the hardest to understand articles in reef keeping since the concept is not simple.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend that you understand what the whole process is and how the chemistry and biology works and not just how to use the equipment - not saying that you don't want or know this already, just offering it just in case. Ozone can be more than some people are wanting to deal with. Once you know all of this, you can evaluate a particular piece of equipment and see if it is lacking or fit.

It is not about the chemistry or how ozone works (and the dangers that comes with it).
I'm simply wondering, 'how' this reactor works or better yet, why it is build this way.
A standard ozon reactor mixes water and ozon enriched air, and then runs through carbon:
ozone2.jpg

So why have a 2 foot reactor, with 3" inch of water in the bottom?
Is the trickle effect of the water, more effecient?

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the degassing chamber. It design to mix the water and ozone enriched air.

SmartSelect_20210825-121629_Chrome.jpg
With this design you then need to run the output into a media reactor full of carbon. I would also run my skimmer input air lines to catch whatever ozone gets out and run it through my skimmer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the degassing chamber. It design to mix the water and ozone enriched air.

SmartSelect_20210825-121629_Chrome.jpg
With this design you then need to run the output into a media reactor full of carbon. I would also run my skimmer input air lines to catch whatever ozone gets out and run it through my skimmer.
Thank so much for this.
It makes sense, but just seems odd, with a little water and so much air. Chemistry doesn't always make sense.
It seems this design filters the air, where the simpler design filters the water/air mix at the same time.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
Thank so much for this.
It makes sense, but just seems odd, with a little water and so much air. Chemistry doesn't always make sense.
It seems this design filters the air, where the simpler design filters the water/air mix at the same time.
This seems to be a pretty good design if it works the way it's designed. It pushes a lot of water at 800 gph!

A lot better than the ozone reactor I used to use run. Mine used to exit the air and water out the same outlet. Made running through carbon an issue. You could plumb this directly from your overflow. The only downside is it would need more cleaning.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add this one to your list of comparables

There is a video that details it on that site

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back