Ozone gen. and skimmer

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue confuses me. I have heard good/bad and tried to read online. Which for me makes it more confusing. Exactly what is it suppose to do and are you suppose to feed the ozone into your skimmer? I have read some people's bad mishaps and it is more trouble than it is worth. But too many 3 letter abbreviations makes me feel like I'm reading my niece's face book wall. I would love something that would increase skim mate gunk but not at the expense of what I am using it to improve.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a ozone gen. last year it improves the clarity of your water & raises your orp it should be run with a controller so that you can set your orp level (mine is at 350) it oxidizes your water meaning it burns off the organics in it you need the controller so it can turn it off & on automatically also so your orp doesn't go too high because over 400 or 450 orp can kill your animals the ozone goes directly into your skimmer on your air intake my set up is air pump to pump air into ozone machine tube comes from ozone to the air intake on my skimmer the orp controller is plugged directly into the ozonizer it turns on the ozonizer when orp goes below (for my setting) 350 and turns it off when hitting that mark it does not make the skimmer make more skimmate since it is burning dissolved organics off it actually makes less skimmate I haven't had any problems just much better water quality some people might have had problems when they don't use controllers hope this helps

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it does. So it seems the setup involves a bit of equipment. I also read that you have to always run carbon on the exit of the skimmer because of the ozone in the water as it exits the skimmer will also kill or damage things. With all the items needed it can cost hundreds of dollars is it worth it?

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my sanders ozonizer from a fellow reefer for $25 the controller was $109 the luft pump was $60 the skimmer was the big part its by Lifereef & was about $400 I am not running carbon on the outflow as it is a HOB (hang on back) skimmer & there was no way to attach a carbon bag but I do run carbon on a BRS (bulk reef supply) filter it is suggested to use a air dryer between the air pump & the ozonizer but even tho I have one I couldn't get the air to go thru it so I didn't use it but to make up for that I do clean the ozonizer bulb every few months I am in the south & it gets humid here. I really think my tank is much better looking since I added it after about a week when I first started using it my husband who has almost no interest in the tank said "wow the fish almost look like they are swimming in air" the water clarity was that good. all tanks are different so it might not be for you but I won't run a tank again without one I am that happy with it

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's for all the info. I have been cross searching on what I would need and like you I would need the air dryer. It is very humid here in central FL. I see some models now have one on the unit as well as regulators so if I got one of that type I would need an air pump or a luft pump not sure what the difference is. If it would improve water quality I am up for that.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running ozone for last month or so.... My exp is nothing different than dosing vodka same water clarity and same amount of skim mate.... Never really paid attention to my orp with the vodka but since removing the ozone last week it has held at 380 with the vodka alone that was my target with ozone fwiw.... Haha I was very confused myself with it...:( good luck....

mikeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running ozone for last month or so.... My exp is nothing different than dosing vodka same water clarity and same amount of skim mate.... Never really paid attention to my orp with the vodka but since removing the ozone last week it has held at 380 with the vodka alone that was my target with ozone fwiw.... Haha I was very confused myself with it...:( good luck....

Have you stop running ozone all together?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back