P4 vs. 12V ATO pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I’ve just purchased a P4 (not yet delivered), and two level sensors and was wondering if there is a way to do the ATO function without using up a socket on the powerbar.
On my current DIY controller, the 12V adapter for the pump is pluged into a permanent socket, and the +12V is then switched with an 5V relay. I wonder if it is possible to switch a 5V relay with the P4 (feeding it with 5V power would also be nice), or if there is a way to directly feed the pump from the P4 somehow (and skipping its adapter, and the relay).
I’ve also bought the breakout box.

JasonC80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 12v relays can be controlled on the breakout box by the S-Port, directly up to 100ma or indirectly via a Arduino relay board (lower current draw)

The level sensors plug into the PS2 port, you can see the state in GHL Control Center of the level inputs and probably use the ATO function built-in to control the switch ports for filling.
These are S1-S4, S5-S8, S9-S12 depending on which S-Port port the breakout box is plugged into. Bump your powerbar port numbering up to make room.

5 volt relays can be controlled indirectly via a relay board as this output only supports 10-20ma, I think the illumination channel controls these, and it would plug into the L-Port on the breakout box. I think this would need to be done using programmable logic but never set it up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back