Paddlefin Wrasse

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the Paddlefin Wrasse? Will be the last fish of my 180 reef. I have fairy wrasses, tangs, and anthias. Always wanted a Thalassoma for this tank. I expect to go bye bye inverts.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine certainly eats snails. It's pretty fast and an aggressive eater, but he's an alright fish.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He won't bother my fish tho, right? I had a Banana Wrasse that terrorized every tang to the point they just hide behind the rocks instead of swimming around the tank. It was a 240 gallon also. It was the only fish you could see swimming since the other fish were hiding, no one could tell that I had other fish in there.

I was wondering if the Paddlefin would do the same considering it's half the size of a banana wrasse.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is certainly boisterous, but my other fish are out and about as well. But my other fish are of different types. I couldn't say how your small wrasses and anthers would react, but I imagine that they would get used to it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He won't bother my fish tho, right? I had a Banana Wrasse that terrorized every tang to the point they just hide behind the rocks instead of swimming around the tank. It was a 240 gallon also. It was the only fish you could see swimming since the other fish were hiding, no one could tell that I had other fish in there.

I was wondering if the Paddlefin would do the same considering it's half the size of a banana wrasse.
This is an old thread but for anyone searching this out, I would highly advise against adding multiple thalassoma wrasse. I have several in a 500G tank but the reason it works is because I have many in a large, heavily stocked tank. The two largest thalassoma (a lunare and banana male) fight often, just very little damage is done. It’s borderline now I’m hoping by adding a giant tusk, a few more wrasse, and hogfish that this aggression is spread about, as the other smaller thalassoma are generally ignored.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread but for anyone searching this out, I would highly advise against adding multiple thalassoma wrasse. I have several in a 500G tank but the reason it works is because I have many in a large, heavily stocked tank. The two largest thalassoma (a lunare and banana male) fight often, just very little damage is done. It’s borderline now I’m hoping by adding a giant tusk, a few more wrasse, and hogfish that this aggression is spread about, as the other smaller thalassoma are generally ignored.

What additional wrasse are you considering. Sticking in Thalalassoma or any other genus? My wrasse stocking plan is a Banana, red breast, checkerboard, maybe a Red Coris and maybe if I feel lucky a Lunare. Will add wrasse last.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What additional wrasse are you considering. Sticking in Thalalassoma or any other genus? My wrasse stocking plan is a Banana, red breast, checkerboard, maybe a Red Coris and maybe if I feel lucky a Lunare. Will add wrasse last.
I have a lunare, banana, saddle wrasse, blue head wrasse together now. There’s also a melanarus in there as well.

if this batch makes it through QT, I’ll also have a paddlefin, green bird, Aussie tusk, Cuban hog, and Spanish hog added. My pinkface wrasse broke out of a tight lid today to commit suicide.

This paddlefin is massive, about 7” or even a bit larger (7” is considered their maximum size). We will see how it goes, the lunare is probably 7.5-8” and definitely boss if the wrasse. My 7.5” Passer angel is tank boss. Banana is 6.5”.

The new tusk is 6.75-7”, both hogs are 5.5 inches+, and the green bird is 5-5.5”. We will see! My hypothesis is that thing will work out but I hadn’t planned on a giant paddlefin.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lunare, banana, saddle wrasse, blue head wrasse together now. There’s also a melanarus in there as well.

if this batch makes it through QT, I’ll also have a paddlefin, green bird, Aussie tusk, Cuban hog, and Spanish hog added. My pinkface wrasse broke out of a tight lid today to commit suicide.

This paddlefin is massive, about 7” or even a bit larger (7” is considered their maximum size). We will see how it goes, the lunare is probably 7.5-8” and definitely boss if the wrasse. My 7.5” Passer angel is tank boss. Banana is 6.5”.

The new tusk is 6.75-7”, both hogs are 5.5 inches+, and the green bird is 5-5.5”. We will see! My hypothesis is that thing will work out but I hadn’t planned on a giant paddlefin.
Looking forward to watching it all!!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching it all!!
Well my harlequin also busted out of a tight fitting lid today. I am having a LOT of bad luck this past two days GRRR. They have to be torpedo'ing full speed several times.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6-7” banana wrasse years ago in my 300gal with a bunch of other fish including a Tuskfish. Never found this fish to be aggressive just very active. I once found it behind the tank after it jumped out. Don’t know how long it was there but it was DRIED UP and covered in dust. When I picked it up it moved a bit so I put it in a bucket of water with a small heater and pump for a couple of days. It made a full recovery but looked like it had been cooked. Tough fish that one but I feel it needs minimum 300gal + tank..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back