Status
Not open for further replies.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you check out at a Big Box store, look at your receipt ... tell us about your experience and be entered to win $500! They do the same at fast food.... fill out a survey and get a free sandwich. How is this different?

For starters because big box stores dont agree not to do such practices as a requirement for operating. On Amazon incentivized reviews is against the TOS for many good reasons. It is exceedingly frustrating as a seller on Amazon to see competitors violating the ToS to pump their products and make them appear better than they may be.

Even ignoring the whole tos thing though ot is fundamentally different in that a review of the big box store is used by the store to improve themselves ..... An online independent review of a product is used to influence purchasing decisions. Not even in the same ballpark of similarity.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll be devil's advocate here... they are NOT requiring anyone to give a positive review to get the product refund. If they are willing to refund you the cost and give you the opportunity to leave an honest review, I don't object. That says they have confidence in their product. I have never used an Inkbird. For that matter, I have yet to use a heater or a controller (Florida - garage sump). Once the DT and sump are both in AC, I'll be looking for one.... and yes, the reviews are important. I think this is one way to get people to use the product and report on it. Otherwise, you are just hoping you can get somebody to leave a review out of the goodness of their heart.
They are not trying to just get a review, but a verified purchase review, which holds a lot more value for most people reading the reviews.

It looks like a clear violation of amazon TOS as well.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters because big box stores dont agree not to do such practices as a requirement for operating. On Amazon incentivized reviews is against the TOS for many good reasons. It is exceedingly frustrating as a seller on Amazon to see competitors violating the ToS to pump their products and make them appear better than they may be.

Even ignoring the whole tos thing though ot is fundamentally different in that a review of the big box store is used by the store to improve themselves ..... An online independent review of a product is used to influence purchasing decisions. Not even in the same ballpark of similarity.
Exact same ballpark

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from Amazon TOS.

As a company they take measures go stop this including $25k lawsuits knowing it is bad practice.

Amazon tells customers it isn't happening because they know those Reviews mean something.

amazon reviews community guidelines.png

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many fake/paid reviews on Amazon, I only trust the 1-3 star ratings now.

Paid reviews are simply unethical. If something gets a free product to review they will always think better of it than if they had to pay for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxTremors

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you check out at a Big Box store, look at your receipt ... tell us about your experience and be entered to win $500! They do the same at fast food.... fill out a survey and get a free sandwich. How is this different?
Its completely different. They’re asking for customer feedback for internal purposes. Its not a review that is then used as a marketing tool to sell their product to other customers. There is nothing wrong with incentivizing customer surveys. And there is nothing wrong with having people test out your product for internal R&D, quality control, user feedback, etc. Gaming the review system at the biggest online retailer by paying for fake reviews is completely different.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack in the box doesn't suggest you buy a sourdough jack next time based on previous customer reviews and doesn't solicit your business by actively marketing the review section. I couldn't get the review you submitted if I wanted it.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't this get sent to Amazon instead? Hm, do they even actually care about manufactures violating their policy?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , I absolutely look at the Amazon reviews. I do all my shopping online (even groceries) because of my busy schedule and so reading the reviews definitely helps me decide, I’ve seen a number of bad reviews that lead to me the right product, learning this about ink bird is an easy way for me to see that I won’t be buying anything from them lol
Since you, and I'm sure millions of others use Amazon reviews to help them decide on purchases.
Here is a website you may find useful.

Tired of fake reviews on Amazon? Get Fakespot​

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you, and I'm sure millions of other use Amazon review to help them decide on purchases.
Here is a website you may find useful.

Tired of fake reviews on Amazon? Get Fakespot​

Thank you! Will definitely use.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't this get sent to Amazon instead? Hm, do they even actually care about manufactures violating their policy?
They (Amazon) have sued them (sellers soliciting reviews for free product) often and collect a $25k judgement in restitution for their troubles.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not that we dont know they are a thing it is that some of us are dissapointed inkbird sunk to this level. Most mainstream sellers on Amazon have stopped because they do occassionally purge these sellers. If an established company wants to provide products in exchange for reviews Amazon has the Vine program that goes a long way in eliminating the review pumping.
Ya this news ruined my day;Yawn so disappointed :D

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based off the number of sellers they have banned for the practice yes they care. If it is a no-name random seller then no huge deal they can just start up as a different name which is why it is hard to stop the practice. If you have an actual brand(ie inkbird) then the repurcussions may have a greater impact which is why the practice has largely stopped among those types of sellers.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this news ruined my day;Yawn so disappointed :D

Haha arent you funny. Not saying it ruined my day, but it certainly influences future buying decisions. For those who dont care about shady practices the news is irrelevant....for those of us who do it can have an impact on future sales.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We’re looking into this and will respond appropriately. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back