Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this post, so I apologize if it isn’t.

I recently received a PM from @Inkbird_Official asking me if I would like to test out their products. I replied that I would be happy to. They then wrote back saying that they wanted me to purchase their product on Amazon, leave a review, and they would then reimburse me for the price of the product.

First of all, that’s not an offer to ‘test out their product’, so the original PM/offer is misleading. They aren’t offering to have me/other users test out their products, they are trying to buy ‘verified purchase’ reviews on Amazon. This is against Amazon’s ToS, they banned incentivized reviews in 2016. It is unethical to incentivize ‘verified purchase’ reviews (or any reviews) that are then used to market their products by misleading people to think they are genuine reviews left by real people who bought the product organically and were pleased enough with the product to leave a review.

There has been a lot attention given to this practice recently, most consumer reporting/advocacy agencies, including Consumer Reports, have come out against this practice, calling it misleading, unethical, and unfair to consumers.

My intent in posting this is not to impugn Inkbird’s reputation, their products are actually pretty great, I’ve used them for years (which is why it’s perplexing to me that they’d want or need a bunch of fake/paid for reviews), but this kind of business practice is unethical and, IMO, shouldn’t be allowed by R2R sponsors.

I don’t know if other sponsors have done this here, or if the admins have allowed it (I can’t imagine they would), but this is my first time seeing a sponsor do it. I’m not trying to drag Inkbird, but I just don’t think it’s appropriate for them to be soliciting users here to help them game Amazon’s review system. I don’t know what should be done, I’m just a fairly new user here, so I don’t know what I expect to happen, but I couldn’t not say something.
35A8A35A-BF8F-4EC0-8E6E-4E7144B1C0BF.png

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. They got 4.5 stars on Amazon. Maybe they should work on the 2.5 star reviews on bulk reef instead lol

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definetely disappointing as i like my inkbirds, but lose a lot of respect for w company that does this. I was thrilled when Amazon finally banned them, but it seems to have done little to stop them i guess just too mamy to police.

At least they did not require a 5* positive review like in the "old days".....though really i think most that take them up on the offer will do so anyway as that is the best way to get additional offers to do the same thing

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody actually buy something like this based on Amazon reviews LOL? Much better to come to a place like R2R and actually ask folks.

The only thing of this ilk that I ever found useful was the ‘people that bought this music CD also bought this’. Found a bunch of awesome bands that way.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same messages...

Attachments

• 6BDDF3B2-07EC-4324-9C39-BEB44F91B7D6.png
    6BDDF3B2-07EC-4324-9C39-BEB44F91B7D6.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 992E6731-0A1B-4786-BAEB-339EB6064419.png
    992E6731-0A1B-4786-BAEB-339EB6064419.png
    380.7 KB · Views: 50

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody actually buy something like this based on Amazon reviews LOL? Much better to come to a place like R2R and actually ask folks.

The only thing of this ilk that I ever found useful was the ‘people that bought this music CD also bought this’. Found a bunch of awesome bands that way.
Yes , I absolutely look at the Amazon reviews. I do all my shopping online (even groceries) because of my busy schedule and so reading the reviews definitely helps me decide, I’ve seen a number of bad reviews that lead to me the right product, learning this about ink bird is an easy way for me to see that I won’t be buying anything from them lol

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The answer is yes absolutely which is why they are doing it.

I would say MOST people, comparing two products all other things being equal, will purchase the product rated higher by what they assume are their peers.

This marketing is just shady.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Yes. Especially the verified purchase reviews.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really excited thinking they may have seen my other recent review thread and asked me to do one for them. Doesn’t seem to be the case now.

Im guessing they are messaging people who messaged/entered one of their forum giveaways

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes absolutely which is why they are doing it.

I would say MOST people, comparing two products all other things being equal, will purchase the product rated higher by what they assume are their peers.

This marketing is just shady.
All marketing is shady, which is why everyone needs to research items they plan to purchase. If people leave it solely up to reviewers than its their loss of the product doesn't work to their standards.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sign me up, free inkbirds. Is it really that big of a deal to bother posting this on the forum? If it really bothered you that much and if it's worth your time contacting Amazon would be the place to vent about it. Maybe also contact the BBB and complain to them. When it comes to people's reviews of an item I'm looking to buy I really don't bother reading or looking at how many stars it has. Geez really
Meme Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back