Can't find Tideline overflow reviews, anyone have one?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking real hard at the 150 gallon from planet aquariums. 60"x24"x25". I want the external box and it's a tideline 16". But like most people, I like to read reviews. Finding a review for this overflow box is nearly impossible.
I'm hoping somebody out here has one and they can tell me if they like it or not.
I did see on here on r2r that someone didn't like it because they couldn't push to much flow through it. But this was a few years ago and I'm not sure if the Overflow has been updated.

Screenshot_20231230_221815_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231230_222140_Chrome.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the 2 drilled holes? A lot of the best options have a single large hole drilled which makes things simpler

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the 2 drilled holes? A lot of the best options have a single large hole drilled which makes things simpler
Good question. IDK.
I'll need to research that too. The internal overflow has 1.3/4" drain and 1.5" returns. The external doesn't say about the drains but has the same returns.
So much I don't know about these overflows. I definitely don't like the internal overflow, I like the extra space and to be able to put MP40 smack in the middle of the back wall would be great.

Edit: I found another website that has the dimensions. 2x 1.5" bulkhead to the box.
3x 1" drains for a bean animal.
It also says the bean bulkhead are sold separately. Those holes seem small to me. Right?

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are not good. they are loud and you cant really adjust anything on them. the problem is that the back box and the front box are at different levels so you still egt a waterfall effect in the box that makes alot of noise.

they try and tout their box as a "synergy clone" but synergy is not very happy about that. they have had ALOT of people message them about the tidelines because they use the synergy name people think its the same but its not.

I got an Exotic Marine overflow made to fit my tank and couldn't be happier with it. its super quiet and can push a ton of water.

Edit: My tank is a 210 Custom from Planet that originally came with their tideline overflow and sump. I think the overflow is still somewhere in the garage.
Other than the overflow, Ive been very happy with the setup. the tank and sump and stand are all great quality.

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are not good. they are loud and you cant really adjust anything on them. the problem is that the back box and the front box are at different levels so you still egt a waterfall effect in the box that makes alot of noise.

they try and tout their box as a "synergy clone" but synergy is not very happy about that. they have had ALOT of people message them about the tidelines because they use the synergy name people think its the same but its not.

I got an Exotic Marine overflow made to fit my tank and couldn't be happier with it. its super quiet and can push a ton of water.

Edit: My tank is a 210 Custom from Planet that originally came with their tideline overflow and sump. I think the overflow is still somewhere in the garage.
Other than the overflow, Ive been very happy with the setup. the tank and sump and stand are all great quality.
THANK YOU!
Do you know if it's the same hole footprint?
Or did you have to drill the tank to the MM dimensions?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU!
Do you know if it's the same hole footprint?
Or did you have to drill the tank to the MM dimensions?
I had the Exotic Marine overflow made to fit the hole dimensions when i first setup the tank a few years back.
Now that i think about it though, im not sure if he still makes custom boxs or not....

Mine originally came with the long wide holes, and i had had some issues with small fish getting sucked in, so I recently had Modular Marine make me an aftermarket adjustment to the box and was super happy with it. They also made all my ATO chambers as well.

So I would contact both Exotic Marine and Modular Marine and see what they say.

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine website still says they make custom boxes. I emailed them I hope to hear from them next week as it is holiday. I enquered about the 16" overflow box with the 1" Drains.
Just to get the correct information what you wrote earlier @GlassMunky , you kept the standard size holes from planet? I'm looking at the mega Matrix series, I know they're 1.5" holes to fit 3/4 inch bulkheads I just don't know the center line of them. So do you still run the 3/4" bulkheads through the tank to the outside overflow?
Thanks again.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 3000 gph modular marine boxes custom made because my tank was used and had holes drilled already. They needed a few measurements from me and fit was great. The overflows are made well and quiet when dialed in. If ypu want to use a elbows in the overflow box you can use thr "p-trap" u/90s. The bulkhead threads need to be cut down in order to fit the 1.5" pipe in the box. Great overflow.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. I bought a mega matrix 180 last year and it came with one. My tank has the trim and short story is I had an extra tideline and a used synergy in my possession already. I wanted to use synergy but since it was used, it was missing the inside box. The inside tank tideline box would have fit but I decided to use the new stuff that came with the tank.

What I found was the trim hit the outside box just enough I did not feel comfortable with it even though the box is notched for that reason. Since I had extra parts I used gaskets on both inside and outside the glass. This helped.

As for the design…. The synergy is open all across the top of the outside box. The tideline as a brace in the center and uses two lids. For me, I have large hands and this makes it tight to get into the box if I need to.

I used a bean animal style plumbing. The overflow is a little noisy because of the waterfall but I honestly can’t say if that because of the design, or if it is because I use a clarisea filter roller and have the return pump flow set low. My system works great, but if I ever pull the clarisea, I would like to increase the return flow and see if it makes it quieter.

Pics are from install and video shows the noise… I do think it’s louder on the video however as I am either used to it or it’s not as bad in person.
IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. I bought a mega matrix 180 last year and it came with one. My tank has the trim and short story is I had an extra tideline and a used synergy in my possession already. I wanted to use synergy but since it was used, it was missing the inside box. The inside tank tideline box would have fit but I decided to use the new stuff that came with the tank.

What I found was the trim hit the outside box just enough I did not feel comfortable with it even though the box is notched for that reason. Since I had extra parts I used gaskets on both inside and outside the glass. This helped.

As for the design…. The synergy is open all across the top of the outside box. The tideline as a brace in the center and uses two lids. For me, I have large hands and this makes it tight to get into the box if I need to.

I used a bean animal style plumbing. The overflow is a little noisy because of the waterfall but I honestly can’t say if that because of the design, or if it is because I use a clarisea filter roller and have the return pump flow set low. My system works great, but if I ever pull the clarisea, I would like to increase the return flow and see if it makes it quieter.

Pics are from install and video shows the noise… I do think it’s louder on the video however as I am either used to it or it’s not as bad in person.
IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg

Do you know your gph... Roughly?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know your gph... Roughly?
I honestly have no idea. I know the tideline could take more flow, but I adjusted the gate valve on the main drain low enough so my clarisea was actually working and just a little water comes out the secondary. I can tell you I’m running a reef octo varios 8 return pump set at level 3

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea. I know the tideline could take more flow, but I adjusted the gate valve on the main drain low enough so my clarisea was actually working and just a little water comes out the secondary. I can tell you I’m running a reef octo varios 8 return pump set at level 3
You may be interested in this thread.
From it, I did a screen capture.
I'm assuming you are about 450ish gph.
That's probably about what I would do, maybe a little more.

Thread 'Reef Octopus VarioS-8 - Flow vs Height test results' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-octopus-varios-8-flow-vs-height-test-results.420054/

Screenshot_20231231_125046_Chrome.jpg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably pretty close I’d guess. I’m not really a believer that I need X amount of turnover in the tank. I’ve got 4 gyres in the display for flow and I’ve never even tried to measure the flow rate.
Now that we are discussing it though, one reason my overflow is noisy is partly due to the gyres. When I was setting up the tank, my gyres were pushing water across the weir of the overflow and causing noise. That is one reason I set my return to the lower power level. I’d kind of forgotten that until now.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just recently built a Planet Mega Matrix 120. The overflow was challenging to tune (although this is my first build with a sump).

I had to replace the factory secondary and emergency drain pipes in the back box with taller ones to quiet it down. From the factory, the bulkheads from the front overflow box (inside the tank) are partially above the water level in the back, which creates a ton of noise. I lengthened the emergency drain nearly to the top of the box, and the secondary about an inch below that. Now that the water level in the back is above the bulkheads, it’s much quieter.

There’s still a trickle sound coming from the water falling through the weir but there’s really nothing I can do about that.

I also have a ClariSea roller. I don’t know my flow just yet but I will be measuring it soon. I’ll report back when I do.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine website still says they make custom boxes. I emailed them I hope to hear from them next week as it is holiday. I enquered about the 16" overflow box with the 1" Drains.
Just to get the correct information what you wrote earlier @GlassMunky , you kept the standard size holes from planet? I'm looking at the mega Matrix series, I know they're 1.5" holes to fit 3/4 inch bulkheads I just don't know the center line of them. So do you still run the 3/4" bulkheads through the tank to the outside overflow?
Thanks again.
yes i kept the standard size holes that it came with since i got the tank originally from planet already drilled for the tideline. i set up the tideline and didn't like it so had a custom box made for me to fit the hole setup that was on my tank.
you should be able to get a pdf file from Planet with the hole layout that you can then send to someone like modular that they will use for drilling the box correctly.
These were mine as an example of what you'll get: tank01.JPG

Attachments

• 2D_Tideline_Overflow_Box_16in-TIDELINE 16.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, tank, stand and canopy are on order. Should be mid March to come in.

I'm doing a lower flow currently to the sump. 400ish gph so I'm going to give the tideline a go to see how it proforms. I also reached out to MM for a quote just in case I need to switch it out. Probably a real PITA to do once the tank is full, but...

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, tank, stand and canopy are on order. Should be mid March to come in.

I'm doing a lower flow currently to the sump. 400ish gph so I'm going to give the tideline a go to see how it proforms. I also reached out to MM for a quote just in case I need to switch it out. Probably a real PITA to do once the tank is full, but...
Have you received your tank and filled it up yet. I’m about to order one with the tideline 20” and I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back