220G overflow advice

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into setting my tank back up again and was looking for some advice on the overflow.
The tank itself is a custom made 72x30x24 Planet Aquariums tank with 1.5" holes through the back wall that were spaced for their "tideline" overflows (loud as heck and not able to properly run a 3 drain system). we originally got an Exotic Marine overflow for it which ran fine, and was quiet, but the problem was that the holes in it were big enough that we would get small fish that would end up stuck in the box. And moving forward setting the tank up again, our plan was to have lots of small fish like gobies and such as opposed to larger fish, so we need to gett the box figured out to be safe for the fish but also run quietly.

I tried contacting Exotic Marine about making this for me (who made the overflow originally) , or getting a new box made from them since their new boxs have exactly what im wanting with removable weir teeth, but they no longer do anything custom made, so im out of luck there. :(

my original idea was basically a 4 sided "box that would act as the lid for the internal overflow but also have slotted teeth on the front that would cover the long flat opening on the current box and make them teethed so that small little fish cant get in. Im attaching a video of what i have currently and showing what im looking to possibly get done.

Or I guess depending on if this is a good idea or not, (would the teeth block too much flow potentially?), maybe even just getting a whole new custom sized overflow setup that would be fitted for my tank depending if that would be easier or better to do?

Im not entirely sure at this point which would be better. I was looking at possibly a custom Modular marine one because those systems can have the interior box removed for cleaning which is a big plus. We had tried attaching things to the inside of the current box before when we first ran it, like gutter guard, to stop the fish from ending up inside the box, and it worked to some degree but was a pita to clean, which is why im really leaning towards something removable like the lid/teeth combo thing or a new box that could be removed.

Thoughts? suggestions?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about getting something 3D printed for the overflow? I imagine you could get exactly what you need done relatively cheaply. The 3D printing forum would be a good place to start.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anyone who does that. I tried contacting a local plastics supply company who does custom made stuff and they wanted $220 just to make the cover with slits in it which seems SUPER expensive for what it is. I contacted Modular Marine and they said it’d only be $80 but I would hav to mail them my internal box so they could make sure it fit

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see that he does some custom stuff,but oddly he doesnt have a single drilled overflow on his site anywhere, only hang inside overflows that use siphon tubes :-/

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY REALLY wish the Exotic marine guy would be willing to make custom stuff cause his new style overflow boxs are EXACTLY what im looking for but he refuses to do anything custom sized :angry-face:
Overflow-Internal-32in-One-Weir.png

I really love how the weir can just be removed for cleaning like all the standard AGA/Aqueon reef ready tanks.

When we first set the tank up with the box we have now, we tried glueing in some plastic gutter guard to stop the fish from getting pulled in, but the gutter guard clogged up super fast and was a PITA to get clean, and sometimes wed actually push the gutter guard off the box and have to reglue it. all around a bad solution.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could buy one of these weirs on amazon:

Then glue it along the front of the lid. Then when you want to clean it, just take off with the lid just like the new version. You may need to trim the weir piece, can be done on a table saw. Ideally, clean the edge of the top really well and then use acrylic solvent to bond it, but super glue would work too. To give it a bit nicer finish, you could just sand down the bottom edge of the weir teeth so that they are rounded over.

1695384410982.png

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy one of these weirs on amazon:

Then glue it along the front of the lid. Then when you want to clean it, just take off with the lid just like the new version. You may need to trim the weir piece, can be done on a table saw. Ideally, clean the edge of the top really well and then use acrylic solvent to bond it, but super glue would work too. To give it a bit nicer finish, you could just sand down the bottom edge of the weir teeth so that they are rounded over.

1695384410982.png

there is no front lid for the part i have now. its just a lid on top, so theres nothing to glue this to. its also wayyyy too short at only 12" whereas the holes for the drains on my tank are 15" center to center.

I basically need someone to build the lid that has that front part

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also trying to stay away from DIY stuff since its the main display and inn the center of our house so i want it to look nice. and from the past, me gluing random parts to other random parts just doesn't look clean compared to an actual build part made for the job.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don’t know anyone who does that. I tried contacting a local plastics supply company who does custom made stuff and they wanted $220 just to make the cover with slits in it which seems SUPER expensive for what it is. I contacted Modular Marine and they said it’d only be $80 but I would hav to mail them my internal box so they could make sure it fit
I've been very happy with my Modular Marine custom 66" overflow. They do custom. Mail it in and get it done.

I've shipped my own SCH 80 bulkheads to him and he was able to integrate them into his design.

Patience is key with these things but once you agree on details you'll get it right back.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with my Modular Marine custom 66" overflow. They do custom. Mail it in and get it done.

I've shipped my own SCH 80 bulkheads to him and he was able to integrate them into his design.

Patience is key with these things but once you agree on details you'll get it right back.
Yea I ended up sending it out to him yesterday. Both my custom sized ATOs are built by him and they are solid so I have no doubt he will get me taken care of.

Thanks for the reply and advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back