Painted Clay Pots Reef Safe?

BRS

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I am building a 29 gallon reef tank with a 20 gal sump below that is mainly a fuge. I’m going with some macro algae. I do have a grow light overhead. I have been doing research on mangroves and every now and then my LFS has a pod available. I was thinking of doing a cheap clay pot and fill it with some miracle mud and just growing a pod or two in the corner of my fuge. I’ve read clay pots are reef safe but could I paint the pot with krylon fusion. I’m not a big fan of the clay look and would like black a lot more. Any answers?

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Some clay pots have metals that maybe toxic. Especially, if exposed to the saltwater environment. I don't think Krylon paint will withstand the environment. Marine epoxy paints have a proven reputation in saltwater.

OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Some clay pots have metals that maybe toxic. Especially, if exposed to the saltwater environment. I don't think Krylon paint will withstand the environment. Marine epoxy paints have a proven reputation in saltwater.
Is there any cheaper spray paint of that stuff. When I looked it up it was $50+ which would be a complete waste of money for a small pot.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Is there any cheaper spray paint of that stuff. When I looked it up it was $50+ which would be a complete waste of money for a small pot.
A boat/auto body shop might have some. It has been my experience that epoxy paint is very expensive. Could you try a plastic pot for your application?

OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
A boat/auto body shop might have some. It has been my experience that epoxy paint is very expensive. Could you try a plastic pot for your application?
Mmmm. Smart, I didn’t think of that one lol. Any plastics I should look out for for being good/bad?

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score

Tcook

View Badges
Reaction score
That's what I thought I remembered. Blue or green has copper in it. Maybe plastic or glass pots/vase.

BRS

When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service?

• Days ago

Votes: 60 12.0%
  • Weeks ago

Votes: 66 13.2%
  • Several months ago

Votes: 37 7.4%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • Over a year

Votes: 35 7.0%
  • Several years

Votes: 46 9.2%