Painted Clay Pots Reef Safe?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am building a 29 gallon reef tank with a 20 gal sump below that is mainly a fuge. I’m going with some macro algae. I do have a grow light overhead. I have been doing research on mangroves and every now and then my LFS has a pod available. I was thinking of doing a cheap clay pot and fill it with some miracle mud and just growing a pod or two in the corner of my fuge. I’ve read clay pots are reef safe but could I paint the pot with krylon fusion. I’m not a big fan of the clay look and would like black a lot more. Any answers?

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clay pots have metals that maybe toxic. Especially, if exposed to the saltwater environment. I don't think Krylon paint will withstand the environment. Marine epoxy paints have a proven reputation in saltwater.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clay pots have metals that maybe toxic. Especially, if exposed to the saltwater environment. I don't think Krylon paint will withstand the environment. Marine epoxy paints have a proven reputation in saltwater.
Is there any cheaper spray paint of that stuff. When I looked it up it was $50+ which would be a complete waste of money for a small pot.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any cheaper spray paint of that stuff. When I looked it up it was $50+ which would be a complete waste of money for a small pot.
A boat/auto body shop might have some. It has been my experience that epoxy paint is very expensive. Could you try a plastic pot for your application?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A boat/auto body shop might have some. It has been my experience that epoxy paint is very expensive. Could you try a plastic pot for your application?
Mmmm. Smart, I didn’t think of that one lol. Any plastics I should look out for for being good/bad?

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider a glazed pot. I'm not sure if there any metals in the glass they use.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought I remembered. Blue or green has copper in it. Maybe plastic or glass pots/vase.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back