PAINTING MY SUMP

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, wanted to share my sump painting project. I apologize in advance for the long description. Feel free to avoid the whole story and jump to conclusions with the pictures .

STORY:
Few months ago I got a used Aqueon ProFlex Sump for about $50, as you’ll see in the pictures, the sump is pretty scratched up, and I know that if I don’t do the painting, my OCD will eventually kill me, plus it’ll be a pain in the neck to stop my tank filtration to get it paint after everything is settled. Hope you guys like it. Open to hear what you guys think.

PROCESS:
I first cover the top with news paper and painters tape to avoid paint and dust getting inside the water compartment, I went with mate black Quick Color,fast drying all purpose spray paint enamel, from Home Depot, it’s not fish safe for sure, but it won’t be in contact with the inside so it should be fine, plus it’ll make this process quick. The paint has very little smell, so I recommend it 100%. I used 1 can for all three sides and about 1/2 of a can for the bottom, not sure how many coats but the more the better, as long as you let it cure between layers. I know the front panel will show scratches but I’m thinking I’ll use some type of smoke or icing spray paint, maybe could even wrap it with some window tint or some sort, so I can still see the water levels but not the scratches. I’ll post some more pictures once the whole sump is finished and also some more once I have it running in my tank. Thank you so much guys.

D9482DDD-4C15-429F-B411-1153BAFAF4A2.jpeg CC9E454B-9E55-49B8-9924-DFCE62BA5E0D.jpeg 8D84C06B-E3E7-43B0-B306-312DFF7D8A1C.jpeg C837C0EB-F950-40C0-A855-B742D22347A7.jpeg 1A60DB3B-4C0A-4EDB-B774-1D5742D230D0.jpeg A4F6CD35-83B1-4D05-A669-9E188E49DA02.jpeg CA752BF2-6275-4526-AA3C-987012FC54F8.jpeg image.jpg

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is, y9u won't be able to see inside to check how much detritus you have plus see if other stuff is on bottom.

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is, y9u won't be able to see inside to check how much detritus you have plus see if other stuff is on bottom.
I think I will be able to, I’m not gonna be painting the fron black, plus my middle chamber will be use as refugium, I think it’ll be fine, I’m as meticulous with my tanks as I am with my sumps, so far I’ve been capable of maintaining my sumps very clean, but I definitely understand your point. Thanks

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my current system I painted the sump black. When I tore it out several years later for "Big Maintenance Day" one of the jobs was to scrape off the paint. I found it too difficult to see in, and generally a PIA. Luckily for me it was a glass 40b with latex so is came off fairly easily.

You mileage may vary

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my current system I painted the sump black. When I tore it out several years later for "Big Maintenance Day" one of the jobs was to scrape off the paint. I found it too difficult to see in, and generally a PIA. Luckily for me it was a glass 40b with latex so is came off fairly easily.

You mileage may vary
Yeah, this is gonna be running under a 29 gallon only, no big deal, I’ve been running a 10 gallon as sump for the last 2 years, and I’ve been able to keep it fairly clean just by vacuuming of the debris when doing water changes, wish me luck everyone haha, I’m honestly not worry...

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be all good. Looks great. My sump is a 75 that is totally encased in insulation board to keep in some heat. Minnesota basement. I have no problem seeing detritus buildup from the top down when the fuge light is on. Or I stop water flow. Although my sump is not directly under a stand, but in the room behind the tank.

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone may have used like a cling or Saran Wrap. And one other looked like duct tape. Don’t know if the latter would have chemicals that could leach but it would do the job of blocking the light penetration and hopefully stop any algae from growing up into the slot

Back