Painting outside of glass, cannot chip or scrape off

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for black paint, either roll on or spray that will adhere completely to glass. I am building a drop off and need to paint the outside where the drop off is to hide it. This paint needs to be one that completely adheres to the glass. I know people have painted the backs of there tanks with krylon fusion but once that dries, can you still scratch it off the glass because I cannot have that. Is there anything out there that will adhere to the glass and not scratch off??

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is hard. Very hard. Just about any paint you put on it is going to be softer than the glass.

If you really, really need it to be permanent, I'd use some sort of plastic contact film, rather than a paint.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough because all paints will scratch, even those meant for autos in extreme weather and driving conditions.
You may want to get some scrap glass and test appliance paint, the kind made for ovens and stoves. This paint has to stand up to rough conditions and adheres well to slick surfaces.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i was thinking, trying some of the epoxy paint they carry now for appliances. Guess i will try a few and see which ones hold up the best. I mean, im sure no one is going to go up to the tank and deliberatly try to scratch the paint off but was wondering if anyone has good/better success with certain paints than others.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be better off with a vinyl wrap, probably a little tougher than paint.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back