Pairing Banggai Cardinalfish

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and Gals,

Just picked up a captive breed banggai cardinal last night from my local pet store, he doing great already! Eatting and swimming around freely. Now that we have the one and like him so much we kind of want to get another to make them a pair. I know they can be a little aggressive at times so i was curious your thoughts on this? Im still new to saltwater so these are my noobie questions lol

Should i get a second for my tank?
Will it be hard to get them to pair?
Best way to get them to pair?

Thanks in advance!

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a male/female pair you need to find out which you have.
I've heard if you give them a good feeding so their belly is really full it's possible to vent them and see the difference between male and female.

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! We really enjoy them so we were doing to do a pair. Not necessarily for breeding

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME they do better in groups (usually an odd number). At least 3 and 5 if you have room. They are enjoyable fish - good luck!

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME they do better in groups (usually an odd number). At least 3 and 5 if you have room. They are enjoyable fish - good luck!

I only have a 40 gallon tank, so don't want to overload it. He was actually the first fish added after my cycle!!! Its been a long wait lol

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got another banggai and they're not friends! the original one showed its dominance and they each have a end of the tank. He will push the new guy if they get close, but other than that they just mind their own business. Kind of bummed, was really hoping to make a bonded pair! But it still is cool to see both of them in the tank. They both eat when i feed as well

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is going to die if you don't separate them. Unfortunately theyre the same sex and will continue fighting. I would recommend removing one fish and if you really want a pair try with another fish. Lookup "venting method" for determining gender. Its difficult when fish are small.

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is going to die if you don't separate them. Unfortunately theyre the same sex and will continue fighting. I would recommend removing one fish and if you really want a pair try with another fish. Lookup "venting method" for determining gender. Its difficult when fish are small.

So even though they arn't fighting you think the one will die? They don't go after each other in the tank, they both just kind of found a spot the like and hang out there. Not trying to sound rude, just curious.

We tried the venting method, it really looked like a male and female pair. We were wrong

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture together, sorry for the poor quality

fish.jpg

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to get a pair in every tank I've done, 3. In every case, ive gotten 3-5 of them and ended up with 1. I feel it's better to get an established pair apposed to trying to pair them up

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely don’t do better in groups. A pair or a single are the only long term options unless they are in an extremely large tank. Tough to pair them up if you already have one established and don’t know the sex. Easiest way for me is to watch a group at the fish store and buy the two that tolerate each other best. Usually you can pick out the dominant female and a male by watching them for a while. Feeding them as much as they’ll eat and looking at the vent also seems to work.

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Update, They were really seeming to like each other. Would hang out in the together and swim together. Eating was never a problem either. Then all of the sudden yesterday the larger one turned into a jerk, starting bullying him big time. Wouldn't let the smaller one come out or even swim around the tank. So after work today i'm taking him back to the lfs. A little bummed because we really liked him, but would rather do that then let him suffer and possibly die in there. He is in my hang on tank until i get home.

mwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what worked for me, as recommended by my lfs. Buy three place in tank, wait for one to be singled out. It took about a week for this to happen. At first seemed all three got along well for several days, but then finally found two together on one side of tank, one alone At other end. I removed the odd one, returned to lfs. The remaining two have been together for about six months And getting alone great.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can be hit or miss to pair even if you think they’re paired. I bought a “bonded pair” of Bangaii from Divers Den one time and once they were out of quarantine and into the tank, the larger one decided it was done with the smaller one and started harassing it. Sometimes they would be fine. Then sometimes the bigger one would go off. Eventually the bigger one killed the smaller one. This was with a “bonded” pair.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of my favorite, I started with a pair then now I got total of 7 in my 125 for about 6 months now. Mostly school together and sometimes one or two wonder off the group.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back