Pairing Genicanthus: Any Tips?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After nearly 2 years of searching, I’ve been able to locate a second female G. semifasciatus and should be picking her up in the next few days.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience pairing two Genicanthus females, assuming that the larger/resident at some point (in near or not so near future) will transition to male after the second is introduced. I’m almost expecting some aggression/chasing — and had read a case or two that the resident female can be quite vicious to the newcomer once it begins its transition.

Any insights, experience is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly 2 years of searching, I’ve been able to locate a second female G. semifasciatus and should be picking her up in the next few days.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience pairing two Genicanthus females, assuming that the larger/resident at some point (in near or not so near future) will transition to male after the second is introduced. I’m almost expecting some aggression/chasing — and had read a case or two that the resident female can be quite vicious to the newcomer once it begins its transition.

Any insights, experience is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Make sure the new female is a definite female, if it’s transitioning then that could mess up a lot. Also make sure the new female is smaller than the smaller female.
As for introduction, you could try an acclimation box or if possible, putting up a divider through half of the tank so the two angels can get to know eachother. If not and you have a large enough sump, you can always try and house the new Angel in there so there isn’t too much stress from aggression during introduction.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updating here.

Picked up the new semifasciatus a couple weeks ago and placed her in an acclimation box overnight. The resident female immediately took to her, more fascination and trying to coax the new female out, but very few if any signs of aggression.

When I did release the new female, the resident basically treated her as any other fish. However, she did get some moderate harassment from my coral beauty (who basically is vicious to any new angel resident, regardless of Genus). Thankfully that subsided over a couple days and the new swallowtail was basically able to escape largely without any harm (limited to a minor nip out of her anal fin).

A couple weeks later, it appears the resident female has begun the transition. She’s gotten way darker and the telltale male’s yellow mask is starting to appear. (I was truly surprised as I know genicanthus can go decades without transitioning). There’s light chasing of the smaller female, but otherwise everything looks good, but who knows how far she’ll transition.

AE0451EE-0F5D-478D-A022-EB621D58CAE8.jpeg

133C7F14-88FC-4953-9EBC-001F3F8CEA95.jpeg

Excuse the poor iPhone photos, tried to quickly pull as much detail as possible out of them.

I’ll be heading on vacation for a couple weeks, which is unfortunate, but excited to see progress upon my return!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating here.

Picked up the new semifasciatus a couple weeks ago and placed her in an acclimation box overnight. The resident female immediately took to her, more fascination and trying to coax the new female out, but very few if any signs of aggression.

When I did release the new female, the resident basically treated her as any other fish. However, she did get some moderate harassment from my coral beauty (who basically is vicious to any new angel resident, regardless of Genus). Thankfully that subsided over a couple days and the new swallowtail was basically able to escape largely without any harm (limited to a minor nip out of her anal fin).

A couple weeks later, it appears the resident female has begun the transition. She’s gotten way darker and the telltale male’s yellow mask is starting to appear. (I was truly surprised as I know genicanthus can go decades without transitioning). There’s light chasing of the smaller female, but otherwise everything looks good, but who knows how far she’ll transition.

AE0451EE-0F5D-478D-A022-EB621D58CAE8.jpeg

133C7F14-88FC-4953-9EBC-001F3F8CEA95.jpeg

Excuse the poor iPhone photos, tried to quickly pull as much detail as possible out of them.

I’ll be heading on vacation for a couple weeks, which is unfortunate, but excited to see progress upon my return!
Thats a beautiful pair!
Man, I’m slowly wishing I had waited and spent the more money on a Semifasciatus instead of submitting to a male Melanospilos which then decided to lose half his patterning but keep the streamers and top of his patterning (Mainly leaving it as scribbles).

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a beautiful pair!
Man, I’m slowly wishing I had waited and spent the more money on a Semifasciatus instead of submitting to a male Melanospilos which then decided to lose half his patterning but keep the streamers and top of his patterning (Mainly leaving it as scribbles).

I don’t blame you, semifasciatus are next to impossible to find! I had my resident female for 2 years before another showed up on the market.

Recently saw a really beautiful female melanospilos though, full streamers and I think they’re much more elegant swimmers than semis, so a great choice as well.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Came home after 2 weeks away to a lot of algae and this!

Yellows, stripes and streamers are coming through. The small female is looking stronger and stronger as well!

ETA: He’s been hiding a lot, when I saw the tank this morning, it took a good ten minutes for him to come out and I seriously thought he might have perished.

F0C5BB10-1A91-4304-B692-8F3B69965AFC.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back