• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Pairing Mandarinfish

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
too excited and anxious at the moment...they have just started hanging out together and lights are about to go off...will try to post tomorrow if they don't kill each other overnight, fingers crossed
if they are about the same size i wouldn't worry about it

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
I am starting to relax... I was so anxious they would kill each other, but they seem to already get along fine

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi again. I am a bit worried. Last night they seemed to be getting along fine. They even slept close to each other. Today, things are a little different. The male is going about his business, the female does not actually chase him around the tank or actively bully him, but she seeks him out sometimes and nips at his dorsal fin. He does not react, just tries to slightly get away. I noticed he has a slightly chewed up tail fin. Sometimes they hang out together, sometimes she nips at his back. And after she nips at him there is a stringy something coming out of her mouth. Slime from nipping at him? Should I be worried she is hurting him?

mandarin1.jpg mandarin2.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

ThRoewer

View Badges
Reaction score
She will be "aggressive" towards him until he has grown to be bigger than her. I had a pair like that where male and female initially were of identical size. One time the female grabbed the male by the opercular spine and shook him like a ragdoll. Her hostilities towards him went on for a while until he had outgrown her enough so that she would respect him.
You will just have to let it play out and watch. Usually, it never gets life-threatening.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
She will be "aggressive" towards him until he has grown to be bigger than her. I had a pair like that where male and female initially were of identical size. One time the female grabbed the male by the opercular spine and shook him like a ragdoll. Her hostilities towards him went on for a while until he had outgrown her enough so that she would respect him.
You will just have to let it play out and watch. Usually, it never gets life-threatening.
Thank you, that is just what I needed to know

ThRoewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Just feed heavy. Ideal would be tigger pods (they are fairly easy to culture in buckets) or frozen Mysis. I found that males get the hang of frozen food rather quickly. Females seem to take a little longer, which in this case works to your advantage.
My current pair also seems to like red planaria. All tanks in the system are infested with them, some heavily, yet there is not a single to be found in the tank the mandarins are in.

FreeEnergyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I know this post is old but before reading this I asked around about what to look for in a female specimen for my 1yr old male everyone said get a small female like half his size so after looking for 2months I found one a third his size. She's been in the tank for a week I dont see them hitting it off they dont battle but the big male nips at the small female and she goes running for the caves. I'm gonna give it another week and if she starts to look like she's loosing weight or stressing I'll give her back to the lfs and try to find a female his size. Any body have any input on the topic would be great my clowns paired then my ywg's now I'm doing the mandarins then my fire shrimp and hopefully soon I'll find 2 tailspot blenny and the tank will have everyone

ThRoewer

View Badges
Reaction score
I know this post is old but before reading this I asked around about what to look for in a female specimen for my 1yr old male everyone said get a small female like half his size so after looking for 2months I found one a third his size. She's been in the tank for a week I dont see them hitting it off they dont battle but the big male nips at the small female and she goes running for the caves. I'm gonna give it another week and if she starts to look like she's loosing weight or stressing I'll give her back to the lfs and try to find a female his size. Any body have any input on the topic would be great my clowns paired then my ywg's now I'm doing the mandarins then my fire shrimp and hopefully soon I'll find 2 tailspot blenny and the tank will have everyone
It depends a lot on the size of the male. The female should be smaller than the male but this rule is especially important for specimens who are sexually mature.
Pairing a tiny sexually immature female with a twice as large sexually mature male will not necessarily end well. In such a case where the male is still relatively small but already sexually mature it is better to get a female who is only slightly smaller than the male.
Also, the female should be fully acclimated, eating well, and fattened up before being added to a horny male....

Lazys Coral House

How concerned are you about high phosphates in your tank?

• VERY Concerned

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Somewhat Concerned

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • NOT Concerned At All

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 2 2.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Build Your Dream Aquarium Automation System!