Pairing Mandarinfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my male mandarinfish for a while and was wondering if he could be paired with a female once I upgrade my tank. Is it easy or is it really complicated? I’m not super interested in breeding, I just think it would be cool to have a pair.

Also... can tailspot blennies pair?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on the female and know for sure you have a male, should be okay. No guarantees on any pairing though. Good luck! I have been looking for a male spotted for over two years now. Can only seem to find females. :(

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on the female and know for sure you have a male, should be okay. No guarantees on any pairing though. Good luck! I have been looking for a male spotted for over two years now. Can only seem to find females. :(
I currently have a male spotted, we have 2 more at the LFS, I’m having a similar problem, but I can’t find females

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never been difficult for me pairing mandarins, and it is awesome to see their mating dance as lights go low.

Tailspots can be paired, just a little tougher to ID male/female

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never been difficult for me pairing mandarins, and it is awesome to see their mating dance as lights go low.

Tailspots can be paired, just a little tougher to ID male/female
From what I’ve read with the tailspots, the males seem to have a deep reddish hue and streamers on the tail fin, my Blenny currently has those attributes so I suspect it’s male

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that It will depend on size if they are compatible or not. As long as they aren't to drastic in size, they should be ok with each other.

I have successfully paired up a pair of scooter that were quite a bit different in size by just keeping them well fed, but am still missing an appropriate sized female spotted or blue to try and introduce to my other dragonets.

Nihilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a pair that didn't pair and spawn. And I have had a lot of them.

Just out of curiosity what happened to the Mandarins that aren't SUPERMAN?
"A lot of them" over the years doesn't really sound good IMO. A different story perhaps? ;)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some jumped out, some died of old age about 12 years old, My last female died from being egg bound as did a couple of others. I forgot what happened to the rest, probably starved before I invented my mandarin feeder. :rolleyes:
Remember I have been keeping them over 40 years.

This one was egg bound

Spawning

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what happened to the Mandarins that aren't SUPERMAN?
"A lot of them" over the years doesn't really sound good IMO. A different story perhaps? ;)

Some of us have been in the hobby a long time, 30-40 years ago keeping a tank or animals a year was considered doing pretty good.
The hobby has made leaps and bounds since sites like this.

Also keep in mind many of us have had multiple tanks running, 5 at one time was my record, and that was in a 1 bedroom house...

Nihilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, you might be speaking to the Devil... I'm actually surprised your on this guy's side Davoeon... Your better than that.... ;)

Nihilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget, there's a lot of us that think this old man has lost his marbles... Just an EGO MANIAC... Will see... ;)

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice pictures Paul. I never noticed they get so big and round when they are carrying eggs. These animals aren't hard to keep once trained to eat frozen as long as you keep up with the feeding. They do like to jump unfortunately.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, you might be speaking to the Devil... I'm actually surprised your on this guy's side Davoeon... Your better than that.... ;)

Lol, we all lose some marbles eventually!
The only side I cling to is the fishes...

I'm just saying, often as I tell people I've had many of those, don't think that in the back of my mind anyone that does not know I've been around is probably thinking, yeah, you've gone through many of those cause you can't keep em!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since pairing doesn’t seem too relatively challenging, is it too hard to breed them? Or is it just as easy?

Pairing is pretty easy yes, and every pair I've had has spawned, but that's pretty much where the easy part ends

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back