Pairing maroon with Picasso?

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2" Picasso that I would like to keep as I've had him/her for a while, but I've been eyeing the Lightning maroon for a few weeks now.

Can it be done? - not looking to breed them or anything, would just like to have both without too much chaos.

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can cross a Maroon with an Ocellaris (Blood Orange) and you can cross a Percula with an Ocellaris, then theoretically it is probably possible. That said your chances of having a dead Percula if you try this are pretty close to 100%.

I have been working on a few odd pairings myself, not for breeding but for looks, and this isn't one I've succeeded at yet myself.

Also FWIW I don't let my fish get killed while trying I just move them to different tanks.

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the exception , or lucky I have a fancy clown female ( orange and black mixed) and gold strip maroon male... I'll see if I can get a picture ... Key is to get a very small maroon and pair with larger female. They both have typical behavior the maroon will pick at me if I go to close to the anenome aggressive ... He sticks to the anenome and spends his day preparing a nest ,... The female is yet to lay eggs in my tank. They are not a typical pair and mostly only spend the evening together. I purchaced them paired and they have maited in the past .... Any moroons are difficult to pair, even same Species. I wanted a pair of gold nuggets and ORA would not sell me a pair they said its to difficult to get them together and most times the female would kill 2-3 males before she accepts a male. You can buy them paired but expect to pay.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can cross a Maroon with an Ocellaris (Blood Orange) and you can cross a Percula with an Ocellaris, then theoretically it is probably possible.

That's my thought as well. A Maroon and a Ocellaris (Snowflakes look similar to Picassos) can mate and make a Blood Orange, so I would think their living situation would be feasible. But Picassos are part of a different genus than Maroons. However they may still live together in harmony, but I haven't tested that out.

- C. Smith

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can cross a Maroon with an Ocellaris (Blood Orange) and you can cross a Percula with an Ocellaris, then theoretically it is probably possible. That said your chances of having a dead Percula if you try this are pretty close to 100%.

I have been working on a few odd pairings myself, not for breeding but for looks, and this isn't one I've succeeded at yet myself.

Also FWIW I don't let my fish get killed while trying I just move them to different tanks.
I have a blood orange and Picasso and they have eggs my first pair it happened completely on accident I had a group but one died and I moved the other 2 to another 30 gallon but left the Picasso but he’s tiny and she’s huge

disgustinglyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also FWIW I don't let my fish get killed while trying I just move them to different

Last edited:

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the exception , or lucky I have a fancy clown female ( orange and black mixed) and gold strip maroon male... I'll see if I can get a picture ... Key is to get a very small maroon and pair with larger female. They both have typical behavior the maroon will pick at me if I go to close to the anenome aggressive ... He sticks to the anenome and spends his day preparing a nest ,... The female is yet to lay eggs in my tank. They are not a typical pair and mostly only spend the evening together. I purchaced them paired and they have maited in the past .... Any moroons are difficult to pair, even same Species. I wanted a pair of gold nuggets and ORA would not sell me a pair they said its to difficult to get them together and most times the female would kill 2-3 males before she accepts a male. You can buy them paired but expect to pay.
Sorry for the necro but what ever happened with your maroon and fancy? Kinda Curious about how the long term housing is going

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back