'Pairing' Wrasses: That's Not How Any of this Works!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's odd and I'm not sure why that's happening to you. @revhtree @LowWaterMark

Of different species, yes? Don't do two of the same.

Thanks! :D
So two different species of wrasse is ok? I have a sailfin fairy and was looking to pair with a pest eating smaller wrasse. would a yellow coris (canary wrasse) or melanarus work in a 45 gallon tank?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two different species of wrasse is ok?

Generally, yes. As long as the two species aren't too closely related, and the tank is big enough, and you aren't choosing hyper aggressive species.

I have a sailfin fairy and was looking to pair with a pest eating smaller wrasse. would a yellow coris (canary wrasse) or melanarus work in a 45 gallon tank?

45 might be a little small for the sailfin (blue throat, I assume?). Depending on dimensions, probably right at the lower limit of tank size for the yellow 'coris' or melanurus. They are great pest eaters though. We'll see what the wrasse experts say about compatibility.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, yes. As long as the two species aren't too closely related, and the tank is big enough, and you aren't choosing hyper aggressive species.

45 might be a little small for the sailfin (blue throat, I assume?). Depending on dimensions, probably right at the lower limit of tank size for the yellow 'coris' or melanurus. They are great pest eaters though. We'll see what the wrasse experts say about compatibility.
Yeah, before i got the sailfin i checked my LFS's suggested tank size and they have it as 30. I've also seen online in other places 55. It's actually a very tall and long tank but not really as wide.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m attempting a trio of Macropharyngodon meleagris. I currently have three females with the largest of them about to change to male. I purchased her about 8 months ago at a length of 3 inches and she has grown to 4.5 inches. I have then added 2 more females in the past 3 months, with one of them being 2.5 inches and the other 1.5 inches. The transitioning female shows some interest in the other two which can turn to aggression and short chases but the smaller females quickly evade her and don’t appear stressed from these regular interactions.

My question is will this aggression become worse once she is male? The tank is a 500 gallon display with plenty of rock work and sand for hiding…..will this help with aggression? Will the size of the tank have any influence on whether the other females will change to male too?

thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m attempting a trio of Macropharyngodon meleagris. I currently have three females with the largest of them about to change to male. I purchased her about 8 months ago at a length of 3 inches and she has grown to 4.5 inches. I have then added 2 more females in the past 3 months, with one of them being 2.5 inches and the other 1.5 inches. The transitioning female shows some interest in the other two which can turn to aggression and short chases but the smaller females quickly evade her and don’t appear stressed from these regular interactions.

My question is will this aggression become worse once she is male? The tank is a 500 gallon display with plenty of rock work and sand for hiding…..will this help with aggression? Will the size of the tank have any influence on whether the other females will change to male too?

thanks!
If anything, the aggression will die out as she transitions. It’s most likely that the transitioning male is showing the females who the boss is.

This video is showing exactly what I thought it was. He is simply trying to establish dominance over the other two.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, the aggression will die out as she transitions. It’s most likely that the transitioning male is showing the females who the boss is.

This video is showing exactly what I thought it was. He is simply trying to establish dominance over the other two.
Yes I agree, that sounds likely. I guess the only thing I would be worried about now is a second female transitioning to male.

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need some wrasse help! The different wrasse forums on here are so helpful. I wanted to get a trio to add to my 55g. Right now I have 2 clowns, a yellow watchman golbie, and a royal gamma.

I was hoping to add Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri), Tricolor Fairy Wrasse, (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki), and a Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) from blue zoo aquatics. Do you guys think these guys will get along?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to add Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri), Tricolor Fairy Wrasse, (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki), and a Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) from blue zoo aquatics. Do you guys think these guys will get along?
flasher, Lubbock, and chrysus is a perfect trio

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi, I need some wrasse help! The different wrasse forums on here are so helpful. I wanted to get a trio to add to my 55g. Right now I have 2 clowns, a yellow watchman golbie, and a royal gamma.

@Slocke @SaltyT

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a great combo and should work out well!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those 3 wrasses should get along, sometimes lubbocki can bully flashers in a tank of your size.

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would it be okay to QT these 3 wrasses together in a 10 gallon?

I have 2 10g for QT and I am getting these fish in the same shipment as a lawnmower blenny. My plan is for the wrasses to be together and the blenny to get his own tank. What do you guys think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back