Pajama party: Do you watch your fish at night?

Do you watch your fish at night?

• Yes, I regularly watch my fish at night.

Votes: 124 44.0%
  • Yes, I occasionally watch my fish at night.

Votes: 117 41.5%
  • No, I don’t watch my fish at night.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love daylight lighting, but also really enjoy the ramp down with the blues. I just switched from t5 to led and was surprised by color I had hidden all this time. I then hit the tank with a flashlight before bed.

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama party: Do you watch your fish at night?

Whether the tank goes dark or switches to moonlight at the end of the day, for most of us there is a time when our reefs go to night mode. Whether this is an abrupt switch or a gradual fade, the fish, coral, and other livestock may also switch to night mode. This may mean that some close or hide and others may stay the same or even come out from wherever they have been. Many of us watch the activity in our tanks when the lights are on to see the activity of our fish and corals, but do you ever watch what is happening in your tank after the lights have dimmed? If so, what have you noticed about the behaviors and activity of the creatures in your tank?

Tigahboy_Pajama.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy; Pajama Cardinalfish

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I like to watch my 2 clown fish snuggle up in my RBTA

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I watch my fish they are all sleeping. I watch my tank at night for all the critters that come out. It's also a great time to find pests. I will wake up in the middle of the night just to observe the tank.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a quick look here and there to maybe see where the Urchin is headed that night.
Rarely I'll take out my Orphek blue torch and check for worms etc that only come out at night.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a look sometimes to gauge my pods population, see what freaks come out at night, just a quick looksie. Mainly I check in my tiger tail cucumber because it stays hidden in the same rock since day one. He only sticks his head out when he sweeps the area on the sand by him. So lazy! I don’t want to disturb my sleeping fish. Ya, I just use my iPhone as a flashlight!

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, it's pretty much the only time I can find my pom pom crab, and that ain't often I got this shot the other night best view I've gotten since he arrived about a year ago. I'll usually go a month or more without a glimpse. Or my purple reef lobster I have to use the red light and got lucky there's a hole in the rock that I get just a glimpse.
20230929_211700.jpg

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I watch my tank at night. There is a lot going on then and some of the critters are only getting out at night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back