Pakistan Butterflyfish with weird thing on its tail

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced this Pakistan Butterflyfish into my DT after a month of QT. It was put through CP and two rounds of general cure. The fish was very active and eating well when I moved it into the display tank. Also the DT was a fresh set up. The rock all came from dry rock that I cured myself, so I know there wasn't anything in the take when it when it. The fish is still very active but did not eat today or yesterday. The thing on its tail appeared 3 days ago. There is also a zebra eel and Marine betta in with it. They are both eating like champs and very active.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20180210-211444[1].png

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any possibility that it could be velvet or ick after the month in qt?

Velvet would be pretty unlikely after a month in QT... However, symptoms of ich can occur at any time (unless you already prophylactically treated for that.)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like lympho to me as well.

Keep water clean, feed varied, healthy foods soaked in selcon, zoecon, or vita chem to help the immune system and improve nutrition :)

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, when I got home last night the butterfly was stuck to the side of the mp40 and nearly dead. This morning it is dead. Should I be worried about putting new fish into this tank. This is the first time I have been able to qt every signal fish that is going into this tank. I have fish that have been in qt for a month now doing great but I am worried that what the butterfly had will transfer to them and weaken them. I have never had a strong healthy fish get stuck to a power head. Should I add something else to my qt proceed? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cody hendrix First off, I am very sorry for your loss. :( I'm a big butterflyfish fan, and Pakistans are one of my favorite.

How difficult would it be to break your QT down, sterilize everything with bleach and restart from scratch? When I have an unexplained fish death in QT, that's usually what I do just to play it safe.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I lost a Saddleback a few months back that came in with Velvet. I am just having very bad luck with butterfly. Any recommendations on one that is very hardy and a good eater. They all seem to be a little hard to get eating well.

The qt wouldn't be that difficult as its just a 40 breeder with some hang on the back filters.

What I'm really concerned about is my new DT. Its been up now for about 3 months. I'm worried that what the butterfly had is in the tank. That tank would not be an easy tank to take down and clean. I would also not have anywhere for those fish to go. Plus I have more fish coming this week that I already paid for. They are very expensive and hard to find fish. Two of them have already gone through QT at the sellers facility. I was going to just go strait into the DT with them and the other three were going to go into my QT setup.

So I'm kinda at a loss as to what I should do. I do also have a 20 gallon innovation marine tank that I could use as a qt set up. But the fish that Im getting in are kinda big for that set up. They are all 4 plus inches.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cody hendrix All you can do is wait & see what happens now in your DT. Hopefully it was something other than a transmissible disease that killed the Pakistan. o_O

I personally would put the new fish you are getting in at least an observation tank for 2-4 weeks.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am definitely going to do that with 3 of them. I do trust this guy. I hand picked the 2 fish 7 weeks ago and they have gone threw copper genal cure. I could out them in the 20 but they are both high energy fish and both 5 plus inches. Do you think they would be ok. Australian Harlequin tusk Quay parrot fish.

Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they? (I'm guessing both are large specimens.) That would be tough to do in just a 20 gal. o_O

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tusk is just over 5 inches and the parrot is 5 3/4. Yea that's why I asked him to qt them for me there.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know they are coming healthy, its just that fact that I dont know what going on in my DT. How long would you wait to be sure there is nothing in there?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you wait to be sure there is nothing in there?

The most serious diseases (e.g. velvet, gram negative bacterial infection) will usually show up within 2 weeks; however I've seen it take as long as 30 days in a few rare cases.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most serious diseases (e.g. velvet, gram negative bacterial infection) will usually show up within 2 weeks; however I've seen it take as long as 30 days in a few rare cases.
So if after a month I see no symptoms of anything and and all the fish are eating and active I should be pretty safe?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back